Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who made this DB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gfarusi, Aug 28, 2005.

1. gfarusi

gfarusi

Aug 28, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi everybody. I just bought this DB in Madrid, Spain and would like to know who the maker might be. It's a 3/4, roundback plywood made in "Czechoslovakia". It has a french "Aubert" bridge and a Framus-like cutaway. Ok, Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Does it have a chrome sticker with blue or black ink saying "Made in Czechoslovakia"?

3. gfarusi

gfarusi

Aug 28, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi Ray: Yes indeed, it has a chrome sticker saying "made in czechoslovakia."

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That is the same kind of bass of which I had two. The first was a bass just like that one, except that mine had been refinished. It had a black and chrome sticker. I had that one for about 6 months (my very first bass) and then I traded it even with a guy who had the same thing without the cut away and a blue ink and chrome sticker. That one I played for about 15 years before it got destroyed.

I'm not sure of this, but when I described it to Mike Shank he said that it was probably sold as a Strunal in the 60's.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm curious, Ray...did you switch to thumb position when you reached the neck's heel, or did you take advantage of that cutaway? It seems like you could just place your thumb on the side of the rib and continue on up the fingerboard, ala EUB.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I had that back in the beginner days, and that was the early 80's, so I have absolutely no clue what I was doing, really, but being brought up in the Simandlesque world I don't think I was doing much up there at all.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :D I heard that..."What's all this extra fingerboard for?"

8. gfarusi

gfarusi

Aug 28, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok Ray, thanks for the info. Did you ever have problems with it sounding to "thin" when amplified ? I just put a Realist on it and it's really hard to get a good sound. It has a great acoustic sound but amplified looses the bottom. I tried another DBs through the same rig (Ashdown Electric Blue) and they sound fine. Should I try an underwood? Thanks again.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For a loose bottom I might try a pound of cheese daily for a week or so.

I alway used an Underwood in those days. Hi-tech back then.

10. gfarusi

gfarusi

Aug 28, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, thanks for your help. You guys are great.

11. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Damn funny.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)