1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes .135 B strings besides Warwick and DR?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ectoflanger, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Mar 17, 2009
    I have a new Warwick Corvette 5 special-ordered and they come strung with a 135 low B. I've checked around and it appears that only DR makes a 135 besides Warwick and you have to order it separate. These come only in High Beams and Low Riders, and to make a five string set you have to buy a 4 string set and the 135 as a single.

Does anyone know of any other companies that make a 135 low B?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It'd be easier to ask, Who Doesn't? Usually you have to buy it separately however - though Fodera's often substituted one for me free of charge.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

MTD... nice grindy, bright, sizzly strings.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    GHS, Dean Markley.:bassist:

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    pretty much ever company i've ever heard of will make a 135 low b. it's not that exotic, as far as i've seen.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The more appropriate question for Warwick owners should be....who makes a tapered .135 B-String. I'm using the Warwick Medium Low Black Labels on my Thumb 5er which is a .130 B-String. The Mediums are the .135.

I had one set of DR strings that at the time were perfect. Tapered B and E-string...not to long. I don't remember if they were "Hi Beams" or "Low Riders" but they were great strings. DR either stopped making them or I lost track of what they were. I can't seem to find them either online or locally.

I sourced some DR "Longnecks" and thought they sounded great but they were too long. They were tapered for the bridge but there is a taper at the tuner end as well to facilitate ease of wrapping on the tuning peg. The B-string was so long that the outer windings past the tuning end taper wrapped around the tuning peg....throwing the string; after the nut, out of whack. I don't think it really has any affect on sound...etc but my slight undiagnosed O.C.D prevented me from accepting this minor imperfection.

As for the Warwick Black Label Medium Lows....I'm happy with them.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hence the name 'longnecks' :). they're for longer scale instruments, i think.

sit sells 135s available in tapers.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    You'd think that :)

While not the longest...I figured 34" was considered a long scale. Add to that the extra inch or so between the tailpiece and the saddles. Maybe I just got a flukey set of DRs...*shrugs*

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    One of the best .135s (outside of mine ;) ) is a Dean Markley as they execute it with three wraps. Excellent string.

10. D'addario makes .135 B strings. They make 'em in either nickel or steel. I've only used the nickel. They have plenty of growl and are very tight. The steels would be a bit looser, but I imagine they'd stll be pretty tight.