Who makes 18" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I realize that 18's are likely not all that popular these days, but if anyone could point out manufacturers besides Carvin and SWR, I'd appreciate it...Oh yes, the LDS cabs are within my purview as well. Thanks.
    Danno

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    theres a million. hell ampeg makes one

3. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Bag End. Also the driver in an SWR 18 is made by Bag End as well, check em out.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    accugroove has a discontinued one u can find in the classifieds..... eden also makes one.

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SWR Big Ben. Very articulate for an 18" and can be found used for cheap.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    +1 on SWR Big Ben. Love mine, matched to a 4x10. I've had a lot of compliments on my tone.

7. If you want a really good 18", pony up the cash for a good driver (Eminence Magnum 18LF or Definimax 4018LF) and put it into a correctly sized cabinet.

These are expensive drivers, and they perform that way. The commercial 18" cabs I've played all seem to have cheap drivers that are stuffed into a much-too-small cabinet, and they sound that way: a big phat hump in the 80~120 Hz range, and a gutless bottom below that.

A vented cab is an easy DIY project, and using a quality 18" driver will give you a very useable cab when you're done. You can optimally load a Definimax 4018LF into 4.6 cubic feet, tune it to 32 Hz, and have a nice 5-string cab with an F3 down to 43 Hz. This will significantly outperform a commercial 18" cab.

8. Agree 100%! In the UK you can build a ply wood cab for less than £60 GBP/$100 USD (this is complete with fittings etc) and make your choice with speakers.
    Most manufacturers down the years have fitted the cheapest speakers that they can get away with. Trace Elliot were the prime example with their 4x10, four £9 GBP/$16 USD 10" speakers, the retail on the cab £499 GBP/$898 USD, which equated to £463 GBP/$833 USD for an empty that you could build £60 GBP/$100 USD.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I agree with Bruce, look here for simple reflex cab designs:http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-kappalite-3015lf.pdf
    Keep in mind that an 18 is only good to 500 Hz at best, so it must be used with a top, preferably loaded with tens. Also keep in mind that you must either bi-amp or install a passive crossover to direct the highs into the top and the lows into the bottom, or literally half your power will be wasted going to drivers that can't utilize it.

10. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Bagend... I love my 18". I can't really comment on other 18" cabs but the bagend has such a wid range of sounds that it can accuratly produce. It is amazing. Can do the lows but I would say that they are gut wrenching or anything. Ever though about getting a horn cab? Either way, another 1+ for Badend.

11. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks to all. I have been wanting to make my own cab for some time and think it would be a good winter project. I'll keep ya posted.

12. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021