1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes 33" fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzkuma, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I am looking for a fretless and since my current bass is a 33" I'm already used to that scale length. My other bass is a P bass but I am trying to move to 33" or lower exclusively (I am already used to the 33 and I like shorter scales now).

I know fodera can make a 33" fretless but I don't really have the $ to spend on a fodera, any other luthiers that make them which are not as pricey as a fodera?

2. Most of them? :bag:

3. Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    The reason I am asking is because I obviously don't know, so if you know that "most of them" make em can you at least list some of them? I don't think Fbass, Roscoe, MTD, Callowhill, Skjold makes them. I assume you do know some of them that do make em.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Rickenbacker.

[​IMG]

5. I think Andrew Drake/Drake Custom Bass does a lot of 33" custom builds, check his website out.

6. Stambaugh and Bordwell are my usual standby basses. My Stambaugh is 33" scale.

stambaugh02.

7. boodakon

boodakon

Sep 2, 2009
    San Diego,CA
    Bee Bass does fretless 33". I have one and love it!

8. triplelutz

triplelutz

Nov 8, 2006
    Aguilar, Elixir, Dunlop
    LowEnd will do it :)

9. Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    oh! right, I have forgotten about the Bee basses!

Ill check out Drake too

10. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I know Sage will do it. My Sage is a 32" and I personally can't get used to the scale. I had it up for sale on here once, but there was no interest.

11. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
  12. Overwater basses. They also make 33 scale P I believe :)

13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    another option is Tom clement at www.clementbass.com

I had him build me a bass last spring and he took two months once I paid the deposit. my bass is 227 in his gallery.

like bordwell and stambaugh he has a loyal following here on tb. his build prices are very very reasonable, his quality is solid, his playability is amazing, and he's a nice guy!

14. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    Pete Hilton can probably do it for you as well

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I have an SD Curlee- short/medium scale and I thought I was accustomed to that length until I bought an Ibanez SD fretless. I never liked playing long scale before but with this one, I don't mind. You might check with Birdsong to see if they use that scale length.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm a big Stambaugh fan and both of my upcoming (fretted) basses are 33" scale.

Alan Cringean at ACG also build an incredible bass and will do 33" scale. Given his pricing and the exchange rate he has one of the highest performance to price ratios you'll find.

www.stambaughdesigns.com

www.acguitars.co.uk

17. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    WInter Garden, FL
    Yes, we will make a 33" fretless in the Custom or Signature lines, not available in a Standard/Standard Plus.

18. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    That's just one section of their site. They built the bass that was famously used by my friend Theron Brison (aka Thee-Ram RIP) in a lot of the Funk University videos.

19. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Just about to start a 33 scale for a guy in North Norway. :hyper: