Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes 6-string J pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Oysterman, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Someday in the future, when I have saved up enough money, I will buy a new bass. I have pretty much settled on the Shuker J-bass model (http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk), and I am also pretty sure I want a 6-string. Now, to the question: is there any pickup manufacturer around who makes 6-string jazz bass pickups? I know there are plenty of people (Kent Armstrong, Fralin, Aero, SD, Bart?, DiMarzio?) who would do it as a custom order, but it would be welcome if I could save some money on a good standard model pickup, as opposed to multi-$ custom-wound ones.

So... does such a thing exist or will I have to go custom?

TIA

2. EMG does. They have the appearance of a soapbar pickup, but they are actually just J pickups. If you look at the new 6 string spector bolt-on you'll notice in the specs that it uses this pickup as well, although from the picture it appears to be a soap.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I believe Seymour Duncan makes them. They may not appear on the site, but if you email them, they'll either have them in stock, or have them to make fairly easily. IIRC, they make them for Fodera.

If not, Aero will.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I know Aero makes pickups for Fodera, not sure about Seymour Duncan. Bartolini makes the X6 and G6 which are reeealy wide and skinny like jazz pups, but they're not single coils, so they may not have the sound you want.

I went to the Shuker website, and it says they offer "Seymour Duncan, EMG, Bartolini...", so maybe they've already got it worked out. Have you asked them? Just a thought. Cool-looking bass BTW.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've seen quite a few Foderas with Basslines J pickups in them. Aeros too, obviously.

It might be worth it to PM JoelC, his 6 string Fodera has standard J-style pickups in them.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A damn good thought. :) I'll ask him, and see what the deal is.

I've sent an e-mail to SD about it as well. A 6-string version of their active AJP would be very interesting!

Thanks for all of your input guys, it's highly appreciated!

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Angus, I got a reply from Billy Gill at SD, and he said they only make 6-string jazz pups as custom shop. They would cost me a small fortune. :(

(I haven't asked Shuker yet.)

8. Seymour Duncan Rules, I just got their P Bass Antiquity and the thing looked soo retro and sounds so vintage. I say go for Seymour Duncan, I'm thinking of changing my Elrick New Jazz Standard's Barts to Antiquity J pick ups.

And mmm, Nina Persson is hot!!!!!!!!

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got bart single coils in my Yamaha TRB6P.... they sound great.

10. I've got Barts 9W6JS and they are great, and they are standard Jbass size. The magnets go right to the edge.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Carvin makes them too. If you want a lower priced model. The Carvin J99s are fairly decent single coils.

-KB