Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes 8ohm 18"s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Who make's em? All I seem to be able to find are 4 ohm versions, save for those good folks at Eden who had the heart to make an 8 ohm 18" --anyone else? I know Yamaha makes 18" PA units (Not sure about 8 ohms though), but I seem to remember conflicting reports of using a PA sub for soley bass purposes. Is my memory shot on that one, or what? Anyway, I was wondering if any of you knew. I'd really like to add an 18" to my rig, and an 8 ohm is what I need to not blow the amp's load (already have an 8 ohm 410).

Any info/suggestions/advice?

2. SWR and EBS. The EBS 18T should be a monster of a cabinet.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang. I feel kinda a fool, but I coulda SWORE the Big Ben was a 4 ohm cab....EBS you say...Prices are? And, how would you think it would sound on my Eden Rig (410XLT, WT-300)?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Big Ben is 8 ohms and the current model has a Bag End driver in it. Mesa Boogie also makes an 8 ohm 18, as does Eden (as pointed out). The EV in the older Boogie's was/is the best 18, IMO. The SWR has the added advantage of being a pretty fast cab for an 18. I've used it by itself and never suffered from flabby attack or the dreaded "long-throw, I can't hear what I'm doing" effect.

I'd say your WT300 might be a little short of juice for a D410XLT and an added 18, however. If you do it, be careful not to drive the 300 into clipping. A WT800 or SWR 750, now that's another story...

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, my original plan was to get a poweramp to supplement the WT-300. I had planned on using the DI XLR into the Poweramp, and thus getting the pre-amp of the WT, and the power of the amp. But, then, it was brought to my attention that the signal might not be enought to "trip" the poweramp.

Any say on that subject?

6. It should be fine, but if not, you can always obtain a poweramp like the SWR Power 750 or eden WT-1000 which is meant to be used in that manner. Or you could always try the effects send if necessary. The EBS you can get for 900 new, but it's massively powerful. Mesa doesn't make 18's btw anymore. They used to, but not in their new line of cabs.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hot Damn that SWR 750 looks fun! and with a min. impedance of 2.6, I can safely run an 8 ohm, AND a 4 ohm without any worries from the funky load...wonder how much they go for...I really don't see them around much...

8. If you're interested, BassNW price quoted me $799.00 for the WT-1000 and $879.00 for the Power 750.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So with the 2 ohm load on the WT-1000, I could still run a 8ohm and a 4ohm cab, because they run together at like 2.65? Or just two 4 ohms. I ask, because I have these little protrusions above my temples...they seem to be pointed, like horns, you might say...anyway, I was thinkin, run my 8ohm XLT, and a 4ohm 810XLT next to it. C'mon! 1000 watts of power to 12x10s, EDEN 12x10s...I'm thinking bowel movements across the board. :D

...:( more likely just a single 18 or another 410XLT though...however, that 810...it calls to me...

10. i think the 18 " peavey black widow is at 8 ohms

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you have a 1x18 cab already, such as the Mesa, you can still order replacements from Mesa...

...just trying to be helpful...

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    That's the EV speaker, not the cab!:D

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You're absolutely right. My bad. Thanks for clarifying that, MFC. The older Road Ready 18's with EV's sure are killer, BTW. I own one and love it.