Who makes a 12 string fretless bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunge_Rocker, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think it would be neat to own a 12 string fretless bass. I have seen the 12 string fretted and have thought about picking up one of those.

I see the Dean Rhopsody isn't too bad in price, but I was wondering about the fretless models. Who makes those and are there any affordable models.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You must be really popular with the girls with that attitude. :confused: Here's a clue since you obviously lack one--if you don't have anything useful to add, don't add anything. It just makes you look stupid.

As for the question, a 12 string fretless would be kind of an oddball instrument. There aren't any commercially available fretless 12 strings, or even 8 strings for that matter.

Your best bet is to get one of the Deans, and have it defretted, or go with a custom builder like I did with my 8 string octave fretless.

Good luck!

Here's my custom Curbow:
  3. that is one of the sexiest basses I've seen in quite a while.
  4. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    What kind of strings do you use on your fretless 8 string?
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hugh Manson makes 8, 10, and 12 string basses for John Paul Jones and I'm sure could make a fretless version for you. It won't be an inexpensive project, but Hugh is THE guy when it comes to these types of instruments. Good luck.
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    cheapest route would be to yank the teeth out of a Dean, but the customs (if you have the $) are generally miles ahead.
  7. a Talkbasser owns a Hamer 12 string fretless- his username is fretless12ver-

8. I do indeed have a fretless 12-string Hamer, here's a pic:

According to Jol Dantzig at Hamer, it's the only fretless 12 they have made so far. They would probably make you one too. The 12-string Manson basses made for John Paul Jones are 6-string / 2-course basses, rather than 4-string / 3-course. Warwick makes these types of basses too, you can see a couple of pics here.

Fretless 8's and 12's are all custom shop instruments. You could defret a Dean 12, I know of one fretless 8-string that has been created that way.
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...but you could have Hugh make whatever you're interested in. You could also do the same with any other builder who takes custom orders.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Im sure you can get a fretted 12 string and have it defretted or have one custom made for you.I had a fretless 15 string (3x5) made for me by Luthier Jesse Blue Oneal and he's making me a new fretless 15 as we speak.he is featured in an Interview at 12stringbass.net as well as an Interview with me.I would like to thank fretless12ver for Interviewing me.
  11. Steve of Wish bass Fame can probably make one , ok...dont hit me! :eek: :D
  12. Thanks for the info guys. What goes into defretting? Is it a long draw out process.
  13. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Whatever floats your boat, man. I'm not into playing aircraft carriers, but if you like it then more power to you.
  14. You're most welcome Jauqo! I'm looking forward to the debut Jauqo III-X Reality album.
  15. I would hardly consider a 12-stringer that's triple stringed an 'aircraft carrier'.

I mean, the neck's barely wider than a regular 5, right?

Get all the facts before you decide to be lame.
  16. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Some people seem to miss the fact that I was originally kidding. So, **** off, you uppity xxxxxxxxxx.
  17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Hm, I didn't know warwick made those.... cool. Dean showed up at NAMM with a 10-string but I know zilch about it.

Easiest route would, as has been said, get Dean and defret it.
  18. someone tell me why this a-hole hasnt been booted for being a jerk? :mad: better yet, if hes so offended refund him his membership , then BOOT HIM!
  19. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Are you guys that serious over here? Jeez, I was kidding to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.