1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes a combo amp with these features?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KayCee, Nov 5, 2006.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I’m looking for suggestions on a new combo amp and would appreciate any input that other bassists might be able to offer.

For the past several years I’ve been gigging in situations that required a pretty powerful rig, with a couple of cabinets and a rack with power amps, etc.

These days, the venues have been a little smaller and I’m looking for suggestions on combo amps which would serve my purposes. It would be ideal if I could carry the bass with one hand while wheeling the amp with the other. The amp would need to be powerful enough to punch through an R&B gig, while still being portable and small enough not to look stupid on a jazz gig.

My wishlist would include:

Combo amp with 1x15 and a tilted 2x10 in one cabinet. I don’t need a horn.
    Plenty of power , maybe 600 watts plus 400 watts.
    A built-in effects unit.
    XLR direct outs, etc.
    Built-in casters and a telescoping handle to wheel the thing around.

So who would make the smallest possible, yet great sounding rig with this description (if one exists)? Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A properly sized cabinet for a 15 and a pair of 10s would probably be pretty big anyway... Probably too big for a telescoping handle to deal with.

If you could find all of your desired features in rack mountable amp, I'm sure Don at Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) could build you a speaker cabinet to mount it in.

3. you dont ask for much do ya :)

4. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I realise that I may have to settle for a smaller speaker setup, such as 2x12 or (1x12 plus 2x8) or something like that. There may be some tradeoffs in this equation to keep it portable.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

15+2x10 is insanely big for a combo and pretty much pointless.
    For what you want to do a properly tuned 1x12 would be more than enough.

6. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm not sure about a single 12 in some of the medium-sized venues when the bass isn't in the P.A..

However, 2x12 should do the job. The Mesa-Boogie M-Pulse Venture 600, with 600 watts and 2x12 would appear to be the closest thing that I've seen to my description, though it has no built-in effects.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

What about a 12" combo with an extension cab when needed ?

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've played some pretty big rooms with a big R and B group with horns and Hammond organ using my Mesa Walkabout Scout 12. If you get the 15" model and a matching extension cabinet those 300 watts will blow the walls out. Bring the single rig to jazz gigs.

No effects though, but I've never cared for the built in effects on amps anyhow. There seemed to be a brief trend towards amps that had these things but it never caught on.

9. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Interesting thought...it could work with sufficient power. Thanks.

10. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    +1 That combo would defeat the idea of a combo in how big the cabinet would have to be. Plus the cabinet would probably not be sized right for that speaker combination. Many combos are designed for small size and light weight versus optimal cabinet design.

I would say look for a combo with a 12" or 15" then buy a 2 x10" extention cab or vicsa-versa. That would give you the flexibility you are looking for. EA makes some pretty powerful combos and real nice small cabinets.

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Surprise, AZ
    Eden Metro or Eden DC112XLT (with the WT390 option).

DC210XLT Metro Specs Power 8Ω/4Ω/2Ω 300/500/750W RMS
    Distortion <.05%
    Frequency Response 48Hz - 14KHz ±2dB
    Speaker EC-1060XL Cast Frame
    Tweeter E-2700
    Impedance 2&#8486;/4&#8486;/8&#8486;
    Dimensions 23"w x 24"h x 18.5"d
    Weight 78 LBS

DC112XLT Specs Power 8&#8486;/4&#8486;/2&#8486; 200/330/420W RMS
    Distortion <.05%
    Frequency Response 32Hz - 14KHz
    Headroom 3db
    Speaker EC-1260ME Cast Frame
    Speaker Power Handling 250W RMS
    Tweeters E-2700 Cast Bell
    Crossover 2.5KHz @ 18dB
    Impedance 8&#8486;
    Dimensions 14.5D x 21.75W x 19.25H
    Weight 49 Lbs.

I used the DC112XLT and an EDEN 410 XLT at an outdoor gig-- it was LOUD. I didn't need the PA, but I used it and toned everything down to just stage volume. Great rig. Howeverm the Metro may be right up your alley.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a good idea too!

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    [​IMG]
    Carvin BRX212 Combo

Seems to fit your set of requirements quite well, shy of built in effects. Especially, now that you mentioned a 2x12. Based on the quality of the other amps in this series, it probably sounds pretty darn good as well.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX212&CID=BRX

[​IMG]
    Or get their smaller 112 combo and add an extension cab.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX112NEO&CID=BRX

Although, the airhead Schroeder seems to be a good solution as well.