1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

who makes a decent priced 6 with wide spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrniceguy715, Aug 18, 2012.

1. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I just played an Ibanez sr1206e and it sounds fantastic but the strings are a little tight for me. I usually play 19mm 35in scale.5 string buy wanting to give a 6 a try. Something under 1200 dollars. I know Yamaha made one but don't remember the model number. What else is out there?

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    ESP makes a decent one with a slightly wider spacing. Carvin might be a little tight but their LB76, BB 76 or Icon 6 bear looking at. The Ken Smith Burner 6 or KSD design might be an option as well.
    IME, Yamaha is wider than anyone with their TRB6 or TRB 1006. The John Pattitucci Signature bass is an upgrade of that basic design with some extras, so a little pricy. You may be able to find a used TRB or even the old John Myung JM-6 model out there.
    If you are just wanting to experiment you might check rondo music out. Waaaay cheaper, but you will probably have to put on a decent set of strings and get a setup on the bass when you get it.
    www.rondomusic.com

3. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I have played the Douglas and dean 6 strings but the build and neck profiles didn't do it for me. I thought of trying a peavey grind. The are reasonable new and way cheaper used. I really want to love the sr1206 the tone is great and the profile is nice.

4. If you don't mind used or older models. Yamaha's have fairly Wide necks, as do some of the older Washburn 6 Strings.

5. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    What about the mtd Kingston. Just a hair out of my range new.

6. Find a used Carvin Bunny Brunnel Signature 6. If your gonna buy something to play, then buy something that'll REALLY PLAY. For some reason, these never caught on really big. I have no idea why, these basses can hang with other basses costing 3 times as much. I've seen 'em goin' for as low as $450.00.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well the old John Myung signature model has a small spacing as well. I believe it's the same like the Ibanez SR 1206e.. He did the same thing with his heavily modified MM Bongo 6.

I can't think of any 6 string bass so far in that price range with wider spring spacing..

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

John Myung actually prefers 16.5mm, which is what Carvin and SR use, Ibanez BTBs are 17.5mm. So none of those will give what you are after. All the 18mm and 19mm 6ers i can think of are more expensive that what you are looking to spend. I had a Peavey Fury VI that had pretty wide spacing but I don't remember what it was off hand. I probably wouldn't recommend it either, if your a 5 string guy you have probably learned the B string is a tricky beast, the Peavey B leaves a lot to be desired.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know the OP is familiar with Yamaha; the 1990s TRB6 is a ridiculously good bass, IMO. I also recommend Ibanez BTB1206 basses. The older premium versions with American Barts give genuine boutiques serious competition, IMO.

11. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I played a brb 5 string. It didn't have the "feel" that the sr has. Doc we have a history of liking the same tone and looks on basses so I trust your opinion lol.

12. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    More like 14.5mm if you look at the custom Bongos he uses now.

13. Try a ESP ltd b306sm. It's really smooth, and I also prefer 35" scales but this one feels like a 35". They look sexy too. Also the d6 by them is if you want a thicker/heavier tone and a more rigid look. Both these you can get new for under 900.

14. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I play a Douglas WOB 826. it has a 17mm string spacing. It's wider than most

15. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  16. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    So do I, but it's not as wide as my Brice Z6es.

17. Wow. Over the years, I've been an avid customer and fan of all of Carvin's stuff. And, that's the first I've heard Carvin using 16.5mm on their 6'ers. The key is that you have to order the option that's mainly offered on the Brunnel 6 string-spacing,. Which coincidentally is 19mm, if I recall correctly. I DEFINITELY KNOW that particular option is offered on on the LB Series Basses. Because I ordered that option on my LB75Koa (Damn, I love that bass) in '98.

18. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    Went and played a BTB 5-string. While the spacing was better than the SR series the sound did not please me as much as the sr1206e premium. I wish I was able to play a MTD Kingston they have 18mm but I have heard that stock they sound a little thin. Then there is also the older KSD Proto 706's they have single coil J-bass pups I had a 5 string with a Sadowsky pre-amp that was amazing. If I can find a great deal I will try the KSD otherwise next time there is a 10% or better coupon at music123 I am pulling the trigger for the SR1206e

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Oh sure! NOW you show me this! Is that a totally cool pair or what! I wish I'd heard about this when they were still in stock. Instead I bought two used Ibanez SR506 basses to make a black pair like that. Of course, tone and playability on the Ibanez are excellent, and cost was a bit lower, but for a blue identical pair like that for almost the same price brand new? Yow! Now if they come back in stock I don't know what to do! :rollno:

20. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My friend has a Heartfield DR-6 w/ 19mm spacing.
    It's a very well made bass and worth seeking out.

d10371front. d10371back.