Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes a good 32" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJK84, Dec 14, 2005.

1. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I'm looking for a medium-scale bass for my son.

I like the look and specs on the L32T from Landing Guitars, but want to shop around before buying.

Don't want to go shorter than 32" because I'm concerned about string tension and poor tone on E string.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
  3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've got five 32" scale basses with three of them being Fender Jazz Bass Specials and the other two are Yamaha MB series.

Not sure if they're easy to find here as I bought them all in Japan, but I'm going to be selling off the Yamaha MB55 as well as this Jazz Bass Special.

The Yamaha MB55 has a slightly figured top which is genuine whereas later models have a photoflame, and the body is mahogany.
    I really like this particular Yamaha headstock!

The Fender has active electronics.

You can tell the medium scale Jazz Bass Special from the long scale versions at a glance by counting the frets.
    21 frets for the medium and 22 for the long, which is the same thing as a Precision Bass Lyte.

Attached Files:

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  5. my daughter is 12 and has a small frame, but has no trouble playing my Fender Jazz. she started out playing guitar. i had purchased a Fender Strat(mij), from a friend, for her. and of course, now she wants a bass. my point is, i suggest a full size bass for your son. he'll grow into it. your a good dad, for
    giving the gift of music. un-like sports, music will last a lifetime.
    :cool:

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I second Kubicki, I'm also a proud owner!

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    The vintage white L332 on the Landing web site is my bass. Jimmy Wilson is a good guy to work with. I like the bass a lot and use it in live performace regularly.

PM for other details.

Matt

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    MMMMMM kubicki's.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Man! That's the best looking Kubicki I've ever seen!

Thanks a lot dude for making my GAS flare up (and I thought I had it under control! :rollno: ).

:D

10. Claypool plays a few tasty 32's.. "Carl somethings?" ;) :D

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FBB Custom. Matt is building a bass for me, and he has been super communicative and helpful all the way. He has some sweet year-end inventory clearance deals on his site, too.

12. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I generally agree with this, but I own a good bass - a 35" Cirrus - that might be too difficult as a starter instument.

I have an older son, just turned 13, who's been playing it for several years. His hands have only recently become big enough (and his arms long enough) to comfortably handle the long scale length.

So I'm thinking that a smaller bass (and one that's hopefully lighter as well!) would be great for my second son to start on when he turns 11. Then, as he gets bigger, he could transfer to a larger bass.

Thanks for all the help guys. The sites and pics look great!

I own only one bass at the moment, but I wish I had lots of money to buy lots of basses!

13. If you check around, you may be able to find an SD Curlee bass from years gone by. I believe they are a 32" scale. The ones I've seen have the original Badass bridge, a single Dimarzio P pickup that's closer to the bridge, and a series/parallel switch. The only caveat is that the neck is kindo of thick from front to back, similar to a 70's P bass profile.