Who makes a good 5 string 35" scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abemas, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    So I'm going to get a 5 string....but which one? I've read a lot of info that says 5 strings tend to perform better if they are 35" rather than the 34" because it keeps the low B from being so floppy. But as far as I can tell the only people that make them are Schecter, ESP, Dean, and Ibanez. Are there others that I am missing? If not...what do you guys recommend from that group?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You are missing probbably 90% of the brands that make 5 strings.

heh.. IME most 5 strings are 35"

Spectors are 35"
  3. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Welcome to TB. A 35' doesnot always mean a better B string.
    There are many 5 strings that have a 34' neck that crush(Sadowsky for one) the key for you is to play as many fivers as you can and find one that fits the tone in your head and feels good. That is far more important then brand. Good luck with your hunt.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    MTD, Roscoe, F-Bass...

...If you average the strings, Dingwall...
  5. Not to crush your misconception, but that extra inch of scale length does not instantaneously equate to better performance.

Just wait for a couple of the guys to chime in with their experiences in owning custom ERBs that were 34'' and under.

Personally, I'd suggest checking out the Ibanez BTB line if you're dead-set on a 35'' instrument.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Cirrus makes a nice 5. One of the few where I thought that the B was actually useable, IMO.
  7. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Yes I am aware that a 35" scale does not equate a good B string...I've simply read that it helps or can help. I'm open to a 34" if the B is good. =) Any recommendations for specific guitars would be great...and due to the fact that I don't play yet it is tough for me to judge one guitar to the next.
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

All Lakland 5-strings are 35" scale, and they're very highly regarded around here, especially the Skyline models, which are a tremendous value.

If you're budget conscious, check out the Lakland 55-01. Modern tone, excellent construction. Can be had new for under $700 and used for around $500.

If you're more into traditional 60s fender-type sound, look into the Lakland Joe Osborn 5 string. They run just over $1K new.

I have a Lakland DJ5, and it's one heck of a bass. The B string is tight yet thunderous, and the extra inch of scale doesn't bother me much except when I switch back to playing 34"s a lot -- then it takes a few minutes to get reoriented. The DJs have a great sound, but they're getting increasingly harder to find new.

Aside from Lakland, there are MANY other basses with an excellent B string. Most of them may not be available to play in your neighborhood, so you'll have to do some hunting, searching, and travelling to experience what works for you.
  9. If you can get to a local Sam Ash, really give a couple of the Ibanez SR505/BTB405's a try if they're in stock. They're 34'' and 35'' respectively and should allow you to gauge which would be more comfortable in your hands.

My personal suggestion too would be to try a Stingray. It's 34'' scale and (safe to say) smokes.
  10. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    My WG5 is 35"... The B string is bliss on it.

Anyways, in my band I keep my 34" four stringer detuned (drop d) and I switch back in forth in our set all the time and don't even notice the change in scale length.
  11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    A solid build and top notch materials will go farther in nailing down the low B than the scale length will. Just ask the ERB players who are using low F# and C# with 34" scales.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There are so many good 35" basses to choose from. If you have the money, Roscoe makes a super solid B string and so does Modulus. At the other end, look for the discontinued Peavey Millennium fives. The all time most underrated bass, I swapped one for my current 55-02 and I wish I hadn't. Lakland by the way produces awesome 35" scale fives even if mine apparently needs fretwork. :mad:
  13. precarius

precarius Guest

Dec 10, 2005
    Just my 2 cents worth. I really like the Peavey GV bass. Graphite neck, 35inch scale,5-string with cirrus electronics. I think they only made them around 1999 so it's kinda hard to find them,but they come up on e-bay sometimes & they are fairly inexpensive.
  14. What is a WG5?

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I just got a Lecompte VB5 with 35"scale neck. Plays and sounds beautiful. The B string has no flop at all. I have an Alembic 5 string but its a 34" scale.While the Alembic does sound and play beautifully I DO NOT like the B string flop on it. Thats the only thing I would change on it.I absolutely love the neck on my Lecompte more than I do the Alembic.
  16. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Sorry, should have clarified: Warmoth Gecko 5
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    laklanddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland lakland

however, there are TONS of 34" basses with great low-b's
  18. My cheapest bass is a Fender Jazz 5; US-made & passive, it has a great B. I have, however, played(when shopping)nearly a dozen Fender 5s w/weak Bs...
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dare i say it,

but IMHO, MTD and Elrick make some of the finest Low B walloping 35" scale 5 strings. dunno what Mike and Rob are eating, but i wish more guys would eat it, too.