Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes a good Fender Jazz Special copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I really like the looks of a P/J, or any Fender for that matter w/out the pickguards. Some look good with it but I'm a fan of a nice clean look. Problem is, Fender doesn't make them anymore and finding a use done is difficult. All the used ones on Ebay lately have either been modified with a pickguard or are fretless.

So my question is, are there any decent copies of that bass out there? I guess I could always assemble one from Warmoth parts but I'd basically just be needing a body anyways and it's cheaper to buy a used real one and just strip it, fretless or not, than to get one from them, although that would save me the trouble of finishing it myself.

If only SX would make a model like this it would be perfect! Maybe I should just save my pennies for that Aerodyne

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If you're a little patient with ebay, you'll be able to find one. It'll be cheaper than the aerodyne & better.

[​IMG]

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    You don't happen to want to sell that black fretted one do you ? :)

Nice collection!

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks. Naw, I'm not selling any of them. I've been ripped off so many times, I bought back-ups. The white one I bought new in '92. The others were all used - the black fretted one I got for $300 from the Harmony central classifieds. :D

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    $300 thats it? I need to find one of those deals...Most of the ones on Ebay go for more than that are and pretty beat up

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I got the black fretless for $256 on ebay a couple years ago. They're pretty much going for $350-$400 now...still a great deal IMO.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    My first bass was an Epiphone Power bass, which was pretty much what you describe, i.e. a P/J bass without a pickguard, except it definitely wasn't good. :D

I really can't think of any other similar affordable models at the moment, sorry. How about getting a Fender Hod-Rod P and taking off the pickguard? They've been discontinued so I imagine they can be had for cheap used.

8. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well there's lots of P/J basses out there, but I'm mainly looking for a real Fender (or very close to it) body shape and will take a Fender Jazz neck. I guess I'll keep watching Ebay

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    THey sell the P/J Fenders at Guitarcenter. MIA and around $700.. the one here has a really nice quilted finish.

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Check out the deluxe zone basses. (not the MIA ones) they are pj, without pickguards and have a basic p body shape, and they are available in 4 and 5 string models

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have to agree with nysbob, these basses are still a great deal even at $350-$400. There is something about these MIJ Specials .... very cool sound and a solid, dependable workhorse :cool:

My '86
    [​IMG]

12. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i never liked the Zone that much, look out for the P-Bass Lyte/deluxe. the deluxe only comes in satin finish mahogony, and has a humbucking J pickup in the bridge position. the regular Lyte is more like the MIM Zone and comes in other colors.

IMO, the Lyte was much better.