Who makes a good pedal compressor with an LED compression active indicator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I realize that Aphex does but Bongo's review makes it sound like just an OK unit and the circuit board mounted jacks are not so appealing. Also sounds like detection is not accurate to its' rating scale although not that important for my needs.

I like just a bit of compression (3dB - 6 dB) and find it very useful to be able to see when the unit hits.

Any recomendations for a pedal type unit that has a compression active (detection) indicator?
    Even a single LED would be OK.

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Maxon CP-9

3. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    EBS MultiComp. The LED glows brighter when the compression kicks in.

4. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    EBS multicomp uses the ON LED for indicating the amount of compression. I don't know if you meant something like this.
    (it is at moderate level if you switch it on, and gets brighter, if it processes your signal. if the signal doesn't reach the treshold level, it stays at normal brightness)

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I like the Jacques Fat Burner....

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Bongo will also tell you that YMMV with respect to any effect, including the Aphex.

Personally, I love the Aphex as it has worked quite well for me. I have found it to be responsive but not overbearing and I think the indicator does a great job for my purposes.

In short (and Bongo will tell you this), you should try it out yourself to see how it works for you.

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Aphex punch factory

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Carl Martin is an excellent choice, as well.

Riis

9. DBX 166XL, it has LEDs showing how many dB's the unit is reducing from the signal

10. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Diamond Compressor and the Diamond Bass Compressor both have an LED that goes from Green to red as it compresses. Both great Optical Compressors for passive or active basses respectively.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good choice but the OP is looking for a pedal config. I guess you could out some big 'ol rubber feet on it and go from there.

Riis

12. markbass compressore

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Yes, the Punch Factory works very well, and it is an optical compressor so that it does not add noise and distortion. While Bongo is right, I use one all the time and have not had any problems with the jacks.

The compression is colorless, so it will not give you an effect - only invisible compression to smooth out your playing.

14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    +1

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [Grumpy Bongo Voice] Bongo will tell you to speak for your ******* self! [/GBV]

:) Kidding of course, you're right on both counts. The Maxon, Diamond, and Markbass mentioned already are excellent choices. Since the OP mentions wanting only a small amount of compression, the Diamond is the one I'd lean toward. The FEA SMX is also a very good choice.

16. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    +1 for Diamond Bass Compressor

I'm no expert, but I've had the Maxon and Demeter comps. Much prefer Diamond (I use it for a little tightening, not squishing).

YMMV.

Curious (a little) about Markbass.

17. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    I liike my markbass a lot, but I am a bit more heavy handed with my compression than the OP. Probably over kill for him. It certianly is big compared to the other options.

I love when the LEDs let you know what is going on, both with compression and envelopes. THis should be a standard design practice.

18. So does the Fat Burner's LED change intensity like the EBS? I had never heard this...

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    :D

Yeah, I was stepping lightly there, not wanting to speak out of turn on your behalf. I know that you and I had had a conversation about the Aphex and I was just regurgitating the general gist...

20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks fellas, very helpful info.
    MY local GC occasionaly has the EBS but the rest of the above aren't available for a test.
    I do have a dbX 160, 163, and 166 but want something small and battery powered for the easy load in with a LMII.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021