Who makes a good pedal compressor with an LED compression active indicator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm like you in that I prefer an indicator. That said, I frequently use the BBE pedal comp (which does not have an indicator) because its degree of compression is just enough for me, but "forgiving" enough for me to be able to go without the indicator.

It's not my favorite because it is so subtle, but for a pedal comp that doesn't have an indicator, it does the trick for me. Oh, and it's cheap but well built.

2. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    FEA Labs two-band compressor. I love it very much. I have the SMX model. Two orange indicators (separate for Lo and Hi bands) show when the compression kicks in.

3. If you already have a rackmounted compressor that you like, you can do something like what I am in the process of doing: build a pedalboard with a 19-inch rack built in. It's not as difficult as I expected initially, and a whole lot cheaper than getting a custom board built for you. Here's what mine looks like prior to velcro and finishing:

utf-8BdW5maW5pc2hlZCBib2FyZC5qcGc.jpg

It may be bigger and more involved than what you're looking for, but it's an option to consider. Rack comps will generally give you a lot more options for tweakability and precision than pedals.

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Agreed, although the difference between my dbx 160 and the MXR compressor (70's, 4 knob, AC powered) I've been using is not great enough for me to justify schlepping a studio quality unit when I can't hear the difference in a live application (thanks to 2 gui****s and bad room acoustics associated with most bars & clubs).

Besides, I went to the LMII as I couldn't justify carrying an SVT to these stupid $500 bar gigs and a single 19" rack is just way too much for my lazy butt these days; even the MXR is pushing it due to it's AC power only

Nice pedal board you made but way too much for me

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021