who makes a good Precision copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmutt, May 7, 2005.

1. bassmutt

Mar 22, 2004

I'm shopping for a new Precision bass. I've checked out the latest Fender models, but was not impressed with the work; mainly poor fretwork and excessive wire in the cavity.

I play 60s & 70s rock 'n soul and use flats, so I'm not into fancy woods, more than 4 strings, or active electronics...just that simple and classic P-Bass setup and tone.

Short of going the Warmoth/StewMac route or hunting down an old P-Bass, is any company or luthier out there making a good P-Bass clone?

2. Sorry about your Fender experience, sometimes Fender can be inconsistent. By the way, what lines did you look at? MIMs? MIAs? But anyways, on to your question G+L's make some pretty good basses from what I've heard, Yamahas, Laklands, and Sadowskies all make some good Fender clones as well. Good luck and happy hunting.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What's your price range?

Regardless, why not look into a Lakland Bob Glaub. http://www.lakland.com/glaub.htm Laklands are well-made high quality instruments (US and Skyline) and get a LOT of love on these forums.

If you're looking to spend $2000 or around, you can't go wrong with Sadowsky. Those are among the best made Fender-style basses out there, be they US or Metro.

EDIT: Oh, and Valenti. Everyone on TB who's had Nino build them a bass have nothing but good things to say about his workmanship. His prices are reasonable too.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I was about to post that! :bawl:
  5. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My Japanese Precision is one of the best Fenders I've ever played, and it was less than $600 brand new shipped from Japan to my door. I'd place it up there with any other Precision.
  6. Nino Valenti of Talkbass fame.
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland and Sadowsky make some nice ones. That Lull ain't bad, neither.
  9. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    If you have the money, I would get either a Lull, a Sadowsky or a Lakland. Or then try to find a 70's Fender, some of them are totally amazing!
  10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

For not much $ - Tokai. Preferrably a pre-lawsuit if you can find one.
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd usually reccomend Sadowsky to anyone, but not in this case. Roger's basses sound more modern than Fenders ... I really think the best make for you is going to be Fender! Go to a different shop and try the American made P basses again, maybe the shop you looked at had low turnover and just had the dogs left.

P.S. Why do you care about the wire in the control cavity?! As long as it doesn't hum that doesn't seem like an issue on any level.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

1. Nino Valenti's basses make me jones bad :cool: .

2. I'd also recommend the Lakland Bob Glaub Model; Either the U.S. made version, or if you're on a budget, the Skyline Series version is a fantastic value.

3. Fender's '57 Vintage Re-Issue P-Bass. I personally wouldn't give up on Fender. As mentioned, their QC is spotty. When you find a good one, you're set.

4. My main P-Bass is a kind of a "Blue Light Special". It's an American Standard P-Bass I bought off of ebay. I didn't care for it's stock pickup so I put in a Nordstrand NP4 pickup. I absolutely love it. I think all told it cost me around $600.00, including the pickup.

I've never tried a Sadowsky or a Lull, but they're both very highly regarded. I hear Mike Lull's fretwork is incredible.

13. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    "For not much $ - Tokai. Preferrably a pre-lawsuit if you can find one"

My TPB-'64 is awesome.
  14. I'd say get a G&L LB-100 (or the original name - Legacy Bass).

I have one of the early Legacy basses and it is THE best P bass I've ever played. It cost me $399 a year and a half ago.

I think you'll have to go used since I don't think the LB-100 is in production any more. They are fantastic basses.
  15. My main bass is a coral pink Sadowsky P, you might want to try one of these... in passive mode, and with nickles or flats, you can get a very "old school" sound.... I played soooo many p's before I got this one... sits really well in the mix, super easy to play, and great neck.

16. I would check out the Yahma BB 400 series reissue if you want something around the $400 mark. The quality is reported to be exceptionally first rate, even though made in Tawain.

The U.S. Made Peavey Zodiak, while not technically another P copy, is a feasible alternative.

I would also not rule out other Fenders. You may have just got a hold of a bad one.

And G & L makes a nice one, though nobody seems to have one. It may be called a 1500 series or something. That trans orange with beefy chrome bridge is to die for.

Correction: the G & L makes an SB2, which is like a P special in that it has the bridge J pup. Was there an SB1?
  17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Attack of the Clones!!! Leo-Leo I am your father!!! :hyper: :rollno:
  18. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I agree that you can probably find a better Fender if you shop around, but more importantly, the things you describe as the big drawbacks can be fixed. I you know a good luthier (or learn how to do it yourself) you can have the frets and nut of any bass polished to the level of the top of the line. A little loving care and a soldering iron will make the cavity fit to serve dinner off of. And the cost of doing this isn't close to the difference between the stock Fender and the high end basses.

You can start with a stock MIA Fender that feels good and has a good paint job (and there are plenty of those out there), you can have all that fretwork done, buy a nice set of knobs, new pickup, maybe a new pickguard. You have a bass with a super setup that's been a bit personalized to your specs.

There are plenty of good reasons to buy Lakland or Sadowsky. But to spend $1000 more because of something that can be fixed for $100 doesn't make sense to me.
  19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    I agree with Bob here.
    Probably there is more to bassmutt's not liking fender though.
  20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Does Valenti have a web site? I ran a search and couldn't fine one. I sure wouldn't mind a reasonably priced custom P!