1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes a great 7 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charley, Apr 10, 2006.

1. charley

charley

Apr 8, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am thinking about taking up the bass, and am looking for a bass and rig. I've been playing guitar for many years, but recently have wanted to explore the low end. I am primarily interested in 7 string basses. I tried a Sukop 7 string and LOVED it the other day, but I'm still wondering what my other options are. I'm looking for a high end 7 string. I also haven't ruled out a 6 string, and have been looking at MTD Americans. Any suggestions?

2. Ritter
    Bee Basses
    JP Basses
    Conklin
    Jerzy Drozd
    Benavente

etc.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Roscoe

4. Carey Nordstrand builds an incredible 7 string. Very light and effortless to maneuver around. The tone is insane too.

Cliff Bordwell also builds 7 strings.

5. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I myself would go with JP, check out his site, amazing stuff.

6. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you wait long enough you'll end up with a list of every builder that makes a 7 string as we all offer up our favorite basses, usually the ones that we're playing ...... ;) I'll add my vote for FBB :D

When it comes to these extended range basses, it's almost always a question of what builder you feel the most comfortable with, or what is available on the used market at the time you're looking. Since there are essentially no production 7's being made other than some left-over Conklin GT7's (now out of production) or Ebay Galveston basses (generally considered to be rather questionable quality), new 7 string basses are all custom made.

Every builder named in this thread produces a very nice quality bass. It's really up to you to decide price point and the type of sound you want, along with the comfort of the bass and the cosmetic stuff. Give a few more details and we can probably help you whittle down the list a bit ..... :cool:

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ken Smith
    Roscoe
    Stambaugh
    J P

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +99999 on Jerzy Drozd.

[​IMG]

It truly speaks for itself. All the other builders are amazing too but Jerzy's basses will always be my favourites.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I've had the pleasure of playing an Elrick 7, loved it so much that I ordered one, wont be here till Sept.:bawl:

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Just hearing the names of all these basses is giving me unbelievable GAS...

11. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1 on Elrick, here's mine:

[​IMG]

Roscoe makes a great one too:

[​IMG]

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    of course my primary votes would be for conklin and ritter, since i own 7's from both of them :).

i also would add to the top of that list benevente - amazing basses - and jerzy drozd - ditto, fabulous instruments. a nice alternative, not quite the price of the boutique builders, but still very good instruments, would be a low end jazz 7, from low end basses. made by benevente, iirc, very nice instruments.

my first vote though would have to be for bill conklin. i've had conklin 7 strings since 1993, and he's really the best all around imo.

13. Those JPs are REALLY nice, but only a few basses are built a year. If you want a Roscoe, Steve Millhouse might still have his 7 string available. All black top and back with ebony fretboard. It was on my short list a while back, but string spacing is too tight for me (and 19mm string spacing on a 7 string would turn the board into an aircraft carrier). Check it out at www.stevemillhouse.com)

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Can't leave out FBB, I have a six but working out a seven there also hopfully. Great basses.

15. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    +1;)

16. charley

charley

Apr 8, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm looking in about the $4G range. I want something epic. Seen the Drozd basses, but have never played em. I'll keep researching. Anyone have any pictures of a Ritter 7 string?

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  18. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    18mm Im pretty sure, but I could be mistaken.