1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes a really nice Passive pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I dont know much about pickups but I am getting a Carvin bass kit soon and will probably change the pups when I get it so what is a good passive pickup I want something with a growl to it.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bartolini, seymour duncan, emg, bill lawrence, rio grande, fralin, aero, nordstrand....

They all make good passive pickups. If you want specific replacement pickup advice, you'll need to tell us what type of pickups are in there - j/j, soapbars, mm, p, p/j etc etc.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    j/j

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

DiMarzio has also recieved VERY high marks both here (SMASH's J Shootout) and in Bass Player's J shootout a while back. They are very reasonably priced as well....

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Aero makes the best J pickups as far as I'm concerned. I have them in both Lakland Darryl Jones' I own. They sound like a jazz pickup, only with a bigger low end and a bit brighter top.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 on the DiMarzio's :hyper:
    Which ones you choose will depend on what kind of sound you're after;

Good ,thick rock tone-Model J's
    More hi-fi modern kind of tone-Ultrajazz

Of course, if money is no object, it's hard to go wrong with Carey Nordstrand's pickups!

But IMHO DiMarzio is a good choice. :bassist:

7. dont get seymore duncans, chances are you wont be happy with them......but i would suggest bartolinis or dimarzios. both very nice sounding.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    + 1 on the Nordies.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I love me some Lindy Fralins.

I have a set he wound for me that are 63 Jazz Bass spec.

They sound nice.

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    What don't you like about Seymour's ? I have a 1/4 pounder P and J on my Aerodyne. They are very low noise and have that jazz growl that sounds liek a roar through my Ampeg.