Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes active subs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 19, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm considering adding an active sub to my small EBS 12" Drome combo, but have a hard time finding anything apart from other EBS cabs. Can you please help me with other manufacturers that make active cabinets?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tjena!
    Warwick makes a sub to be used with their combos. Thats all I know. Check their site.
    I believe EBS´s is better. Try to find a used one!

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Ashdown used to make one if that is any help...

4. As I thought jock might had been mistaken, I headed over to Warwick's American site. This, a 300 Watt powered sub, is what I found. Turned out jock was right, so my hat goes off. :)
    And, I think I would trust him with the EBS advice as well, even though I can't say I've seen many of their active cabs around. At least not used. I don't think that many people actually buy them to begin with.

5. I believe both Yamaha and Mackie make powered subs for their PA lines but they should be suitable for your needs. My experience is that the Yamaha PA stuff is bulletproof, great sounding and a good value.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I know where they have a used EBS sub. 1x15" + tweeter. I was going to buy it actually but I dont have the cash at the moment so go ahead if you want it. :)
    Its at "Stones musik" or something in Stockholm. They wanted 7000 kr I think.

7. TheCreature

TheCreature Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Bob Golihur's page mentions EA powered cabs are coming

"EA will also introduce powered extension cabinets to extend the power and range of the iAMP Combo."

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/ea.html

8. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    no, go with warwick's SUBIII.

9. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks to everyone, and especially jock. :)

I'll call Stones and see if the EBS cab is still available.

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    jock, unfortunately the cab is still in the store. ;)

- They told me over the phone the cab was in "tip-top" condition
    - The clerc told me it was 400 Watts
    - It was "not very old"

In reality it was a two generation old 300 Watt model, very much used, dings everywhere and some crappy wheels screwed onto the bottom.

I had called EBS (very nice and helpful guys) to find out what to look for before going to the store. That was lucky because they told me their newest cabs are improved in several ways:

- 350 W amp from the Gorm ET series
    - New and much better sounding HF horn
    - HF attenuator
    - The adjustable input gain also amplifies the line signal, as opposed to the old one that only attenuates

In the store I asked about the price and the guys compared it to the list price for the newest one...

When I informed them they where selling something very different they were not interested in discussing the price, so I left.

[​IMG]

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'm very surprized that no one has mentioned Bag End's ELF subs..

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Or how about poweramp+cab route? That way you could get any cab you want. Of course there's the extra carrying, but if you would get some small rackbag for it, I'm sure it would come along nicely.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, considering they're not "active". . . :)

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, I've come to think this is a better way too. The powered subs I've found are too big and heavy. I think I'd prefer more but smaller units, that's easier on the back. I was perhaps distracted for a while by recollections of my Rack+4x10+4x10 days. No more! But things seem to have come a long way with smaller cabinets and amps, so that's the way to go apparently.

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'm sorry, I misread that, I thought he meant "powered" subs.
    Come to think of it, I don't even know what active subs are..

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Active means powered, as in internally. The ELF subs require a separate power amp. But, it sounds like the all-in-one restriction has been lifted :) so that means ELFs are back in the running.

I think the ELF system is pretty neat, I was looking at the info on how it works again today. It'd be overkill for any bass rig I put together in the near future (says the guy who just bought a 3kw amp), but who knows. . .

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Ok, well I was talking about the Infrasubs. I guess I just got them mixed up with the plain Elf's, but they do still utilize the Elf technology and they're powered.

18. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Maybe my use of the term "sub" is a bit misleading as well, for bass playing most would like to go down to what's practical (lets say to low B) so it's not really sub-bass. Those ELF cabs go down to earth quake frequencies, I don't think any bass player needs or even wants that! :)