Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes better pick-ups: Bartolini or EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dumfish, May 6, 2002.

1. Bartolini

171 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. EMG

94 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Ok. I know this is a question wherelots of different opinions can be given. But, I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering what I should get to put on my bass. So, without further ado: Who makes better pick-ups Bartolini or EMG?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    They are two very good companies.it just depends on what your looking for.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would say that Bartolini is a more natural sounding pickup. They will give you more of the tone of your bass, while EMG's have more of their own sound. They are both great, they just have different applications.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    as far as the better of the two,you wouldnt have anything to lose,Bartolini and EMG will give you what your looking.Hey! AJ how is that Warrior?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's going to come down to personal taste, but I voted for Barts since I don't own any EMGs. Besides, I hope it influences somebody to like what I like. It's good for you, and it's good for me.

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Funny, I always thought EMG is the one with less colouring to the sound of the bass itself while Barts often cut the highs and boost low mids. I know my bass DI'd sounds pretty close to my bass unamplified (EMGs)

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    what if we were to genetically splice a Bart with some EMG and create.......uhh, i dunno.

how bout we just have a bart pup and an emg pup on the one bass, who will decide if the bart is to be in the bridge or neck position, active or passive, what sortof preamp-if any, jazz or precision pups........AAARRRGGGGHH!

well if bart is a more natural sounding pickup then its got my vote, but i dont think ive had any experience with either so i wont offically vote, see what living in australia deprives me of.
    later
    Lukas

8. Seymour Duncan....

Well, actually it's all personal taste when you get to this level anyway:D. My $0.02, and these are generalizations of course: Barts: Smooth and natural, great for fretless mwah. EMG: quick and bright, hifi sounding, attenuated mids, great for modern sounds, slapping. SD Basslines: Agressive, big bottom, aggressive mids. Great for aggressive rock sounds.

9. EMG all the way. I have not had thye opportunity to try the Barts, but I really like my EMG pickups. Very high definition pickups.

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I'm having the same problem here in Brazil... I dont have any experience with basslines and emgs...

I really don't know wich pickups could give me the the sound I'm looking for...

This Scorpion by wood Guitars has emg40's. They sound close to what I want...

Narud's Fodera has THE tone I want, but, it's a Fodera. I can't afford one (We have a 100% import tax here)

Adam Nitti also has a tone that i love, and he plays a Curbow with barts

Gary Willis has barts also

You can imagine how confused I am :)

11. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    tax sucks, shipping sucks, exchange rates suck.
    i dont really have experience with pickups or strings, strings here are like $60 a pack and its $100 for flats, but you have to wait 2 months for the flats.
    later
    Lukas

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    :D

or wind em yourself..
    or use peizo filament

;)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Barts are warm, yet can be dull. and EMG's always have seemed "crispy" to me, like they're frying your strings and tone. not really appealing.

but OH, do i lust for a set of Lane Poor's... :(

14. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Where in Australia are you??
    I got Bartolinis. Ok they cost me alot but i got em and i love em. Where do you buy your strings from???

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As humorous as Munji's facetious comments are, I think Munji is dead on track - I continuously try to discourage all the posts centered on - "this is what I presently have so it must be bitchin."

IME, don't pigeon-hole particular pups. The woods, the instrument's construction, the strings, the player's technique, et al, that are a big part of the info fed to the pups, and factors such as those make all the difference.

For instance - Bart electronics are reknowned for their "behaved" characteristics and "natural wood-iness." Yet, I have a swamp ash-bodied Skyline 02 with a maple fretboard. The bass sounds like a serial killer because the Bart pickups are displaying the extremely aggressive characteristics of those woods, my stainless steel roundwound strings, and my hard attack.

IME - attributing the final sonic outcome to just one component is futile.

16. Same here. Since I like the sound of my bass as it is, I chose EMGs.

I didn't vote in the poll, though. It all depends on what you are looking for. Since a lot of folks are looking for "growl", Barts would be a better choice.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ahhh, but imagine if you slapped a set of EMGs in there... only dogs would be able to hear it :eek: ;)

- Frank.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Both pickups are high quality. Tone is a matter of taste. I did not vote because there is no objective answer to this question.

I have done a lot of modding over the years. Some of my basses sounded better with barts, others sounded better with EMGs.

20. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz

Mar 9, 2002
    Mass.
    In my Pbass, I've tried Fender '62 Orig., EMG Actives and Bart 8s. I really liked the EMGs, but after I tried the Barts again, I think I'll stay with them, as they just have a smoother tone, what I consider classic P tone. I play through a SABDDI, so maybe that has something to do with it, as the passive barts may work better with the Barts.