Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes black flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Triclops, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Just finishing up my fretless project, and I want to complete the look by adding black flatwounds. I have dr black beauties on it from when it still had frets,however I did not epoxy my board yet, so these have to go!:eyebrow:

2. Do you want actual flatwounds, as in metal, or would black nylon tapewounds do? Alot of people make tapewounds. I haven't come across any coloured flatwounds though.

3. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Those colored strings you see are roundwounds coated in plastic/rubber. The idea is it keeps dirt from getting inbetween the windings and keeps the string from grinding the frets down. Flats don't have either of those problems so there's no need to make them with the plastic coating, and hence colored.

~Paul :)

4. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    best brand?

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    i'm thinking of going with rotosound strings. any thoughts?

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    LaBella and Fender (and probably some others) make black nylon tapewound strings. They look, feel, and sound wonderful. I have the LaBellas on my 6 string fretless and the Fenders on my 4 string fretless, I love them both!

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    TI's are great if you want a good upright tone with low tension. Fender's are OK too but with a gigher tension. I'm now using Rotosound 77's and love the bright tone you get for a flatwound, and the tension is just right for me.

8. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    The four that I know of are all nylon tape wound. They are: La Bella, Rotosound, GHS and Fender.

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    thx folks!

10. how would you rate these 4 in terms of tension? i've played Labella's before (flats, not tapes) and loved the sound, but the tension was too high for my liking.

11. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    I can't really answer your question accurately since I haven't tried all 4 brands, but I can tell you that a tapewound string will have less tension than a flatwound of the same diameter. This is because the plastic tape winding doesn't add (significantly) to the tension of the string.

For example, the Labella tapewound B string has an outer diameter of .135", but the metal roundwound string under the plastic tape is .128". So if you compared a .135" flatwound to the .135" tapewound, the tapewound will have quite a bit less tension because the tapewound will have the tension of a .128" string. Hope that makes sense.

Or for a much less technical answer, the tapes do feel quite slinky!

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I think the LaBellas that I've tried are very high tension. I love them, though. I've only ever tried the LaBella and Fender nylon tapewounds, I like them both, but really love the Fender. I'm thinking of going with them on my fretted basses also. I don't know if they're available in multi-string sets.

13. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    The LaBella black nylon tapewounds are a 40-98 roundwound set wrapped in flat nylon tape. They may feel stiff because of the bulk but they definitely aren't high tension.

String tension is determined by weight per unit of length. The nylon outer wrap adds almost no weight.