1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes/can make this preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LDonnie, Apr 13, 2015.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Dear tb,

I am searching for a preamp for my P/MM bass. The most important features are: The bass should sound like a stingray with the humbucker soloed AND the preamp solves the problem of the different impedances. The pickups are an SPB-3 and an SMBA-4. I am currently using a Noll preamp with a Mixpot, but it doesn't quite cut it in both the sound and blend departments.

Thanks for the effort!

2. You don't need anything fancy. Buy a buffered blend pot and feed it into a MM preamp.

3. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    East makes a drop in mm preamp... Needs a blend pot though

There is a DIY music man preamp thread here. Post there and someone might be able to make you one

4. That's exactly what the Noll Mixpot is.

I think the preamp is the problem. The original 2-band stingray pre is a big part of the stingray tone.

I'm pretty sure there's also a guy selling stingray 2-band clones on ebay.

Oh, and make sure your MM pickup is wired in parallel.

5. Great! That takes care of that.

Indeed, the existing preamp is likely the problem. Those 2 band MM preamps are distinctive. They have their own voice that is rarely replicated in other preamps.

Another factor to consider, however, is the placement of the pickups. The "sweet spot" is fairly significant.

6. ^ Yeah, plus you may also want to mess around with the load that the pickups "see" at the inputs of the Mixpot. The original MM 2-band has no separate buffer. The pickup is directly coupled and the pre EB MM's have that characteristic clanky lower treble. And of course, the sound that we have in mind for a P pickup is usually that warm passive tone.

I'm guessing the Mixpot has a very high input Z (over 1megohm) because the site mentions compatibility with piezo pickups. IME, a magnetic pickup that is buffered directly with anything over 500K impedence can sound quite brittle.

"Loading" a pickup before buffering is as simple as connecting a resistor from the hot lead across to earth. You'll probably need to experiment, but I'd start with a couple of 220k resistors. Lower resistance will load the pickup more and warm the tone, higher will open up the treble more. You may end up with two different resistors. There's no need to have the same resistor for each pickup.

Actually, this mod is so simple, quick and cheap to do, I'd do it first, before you try a new preamp.

line6man likes this.
  7. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not too electronics savvy, but I will follow up on your suggestions and see how far I can get.