Who makes Fender 7150 strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SeayBass, Jul 8, 2019.

1. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

Does anybody know makes Fender 7150?

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    It is strongly suspected that D'Addario makes Fender strings, but anyone who knows for certain is probably not allowed to say.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    If memory serves, Fender themselves said that D'Addario was going to make their strings - to Fender's specifications - several years ago. D'Addario does the same for several companies - including Rickenbacker (again, to RIC's specs). John Hall also 'fessed up to getting strings from SIT, too... Several other string companies do the same thing. Economies of scale, and not having to invest time/money in making strings as well as instruments, make this kind of thing pretty much a no-brainer if you're a company bean counter... I haven't ever used Fender rounds - new or old - but I use the new Fender flats a bunch...:cool:

iiipopes, TN WOODMAN and tindrum like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That makes sense to me. I pretty much always use either D'Addarios or Fenders, and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. Fender strings are NOT simply re-branded D'Addario Strings as they're made to different specs, as noted above.

That said, there is enough "family resemblance" to indicate they DO come from the same factory - almost like two siblings from the same family with different personalities.

What's unique about the Fender 7150, though, is D'Addario actually doesn't offer "pure nickel roundwound" strings.

Phaidrus, Winton, iiipopes and 2 others like this.
  6. SeayBass

I loved the first set I tried. It had brass balls.
    The second set same with 2 brass and two colored balls. The second also looked brighter and shiny compared to the first. I thought it was a mislabeled pack.
    Anyway if DA makes these strings, and they really are nickel alloy not plated, then it's a unique offering from them, as they don't have a pure nickel roundwound string to my knowledge.
    They're my favorite P bass strings. They offer rich tone without sounding too roundwound. I can go both ways with these. And I find they respond tonally to set up- brighter with a straight truss, fat with more relief. Also true with string thru vs not (fatter not, clearer thru). Very cool string.

7. SeayBass

which one of these is a 7150? Same package, different material, feel, sound.
    I bought one last year from Bassstringsonline. I bought another from a different seller in May this year. They are packaged the same, but are clearly different. I want to use the darker colored one- it's my preference. I thought it was a 7150 but it might be the imposter. can anyone tell by these pics? (the 5 string J is the newer set- which is shinier (disregard the B string- it's a different string). 20190707_151002[1].jpg ?

2 A strings:

20190711_170554[1].jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I think the 7150 has a thicker core wire, because I found them the highest-tension roundwound I've ever played. I really liked the tone, but my right hand never quite adjusted, being nearly-blistered after every session.
    I think they may be the best overall string for someone who plays daily. They are cheap, available, sound fantastic, and a daily player won't run into the blistering problems I did. The "pop" tone, opposite a slap, is to die for.

They are the only roundwound string I've played that also required me to do a new setup , similar to when switching to flats.

Phaidrus, e-flat and wschenk like this.
  9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Whoever makes them I think the flats and rounds sound great.

Root 5 and RattleSnack like this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I once asked DR if they could tell, without destructive testing, which nickel RW had a hex core vs. a round core and they said they could not.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I wish I knew who was the manufacturer of the old Fender 7150 strings. The ones with the yellow silk wrapped ends. I used to buy these by the brick, and have exhausted my old supply. I've been using the newer versions that I suspect is made by D'addario, and they sound like absolute garbage by comparison. Totally frustrated by the new versions, I dug up a set of used "takeoffs" that I found "used spares" pile.
    Absolute night and day difference between these 10 year old yellow silk wrapped and 71 50s that were replaced because they were starting to sound a little worn, and a barely played in set of new 7150 s. The old used set is so much richer,a vibrant and 3-dimensional sounding than the current version. I'm desperate to find a suitable replacement because the new Fenders just aren't getting the job done.

Yahboy likes this.
  12. Those pre-2010 7150s were made by Fender at their own factory in Mexico. There is a general consensus that the old Fender strings (7150/7250/8250) made by Fender were nicer than the current ones made by D'Addario.

bassdude51 and Jim C like this.
  13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Any suggestions for a suitable replacement for the old version? I'd like to avoid having to demo a dozen different brands before I find something close enough. I absolutely can't stand the new versions.

14. Have you tried the GHS Balanced Nickels? They're pure nickel roundwound like the 7150s, but round-core instead of hex.

GHS Balanced Nickel strings

iiipopes likes this.
  15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    No but I'll definitely give them a try.

I did a side by side shootout with two very similar sounding and set up P basses.. (my primary and backup are set up to sound as much like each other as possible in the event I have to switch during a gig) .. One with the old 7150 s with the silk wrapped ends, and the other with the new version. It actually makes me a little ill inside to think I'm going to be stuck with the sound of the current strings until I can find a suitable replacement. The difference is that profound in my opinion.

16. SeayBass

I've just discovered the DR Jonas Helborg set.
    I like them, I'm on my first set 2 weeks in. These may become the go to. Round core nickel wrap

e-flat and savit260 like this.
  17. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    The old Fender 7250s were awful. I threw my rose tinted glasses in the bin.

18. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    How do the DR Hellborg Nickels compare to the Fender 7150s? I’ve always wanted to try the Helborgs.

Also, the pure nickel strings that come closest to 7150 are the La Bella Chicago Style Nickels, but they are a little brighter and not quite as tense. Very close though. Here’s a thread:
    La Bella "Chicago Style" Pure Nickel Rounds?

There’s lots of good discussion of other pure nickel strings here, too:
    Pure Nickel Alchemists Union

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  19. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Looks like CME doesn't have the LaBella 4-string Chicago style strings on either Reverb or their website.
    Their email contact isn't working and I just can't make another phone call without loosing my mind.
    Anybody else carry them as they sound interesting?
    Fret Nation does not

20. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Its only a couple bucks more for the 5 string set which is listed as "in stock", then you can just set the B String aside (?)
    La Bella "Chicago Style" Pure Nickel Bass Strings 5-String 45-130

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021