1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes Filter pedals? (non envelope)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sublab, Aug 17, 2012.

1. So what brands, outside of Moog, makes true Filter pedals? With 'filter' I mean a Lowpass, Bandpass or Highpass filter with dedicated resonance (or 'peak'). ACG makes them but doesnt make them as a pedal, only as a preamp. Maybe I could figure out how to turn an ACG preamp into a stompbox. But rather not start that quest just yet. ;)

Any ideas?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
  3. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    +10000

4. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I love the Xerograph, but if you wanted the flexibility of BP and HP along with LP the Robot Factory Brain Freeze is absolutely the best stock pedal for this.

However, despite my earlier (and great) dealing with Mario it appears that he's not a reliable choice anymore which is too bad because I think he makes great stuff. If you can find one used at a decent price grab it, I really dug mine when I had it.

Alternately you could ask Taylor if he'd make you a custom Xerograph with BP and/or HP modes built in. I know he's built a couple dual LP/HP Xerographs in the past but I don't know if his work schedule would allow for custom work now.

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    NOPE

6. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Several guys have built the 02 preamp into an external box so it has been done.

7. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I have a Tweaktronics (Subdecay) Dynamic Filter and love it. Works great for lowpass stuff and was super cheap.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've owned a Xerograph Deluxe (the link i gave is for the non deluxe version because it better fits what i think you're looking for) since they became available and it's still my primary filter. I've used it a lot as an envelope filter but most of the time it serves as a static or expression swept LPF. It sounds amazing and works perfectly. Absolutely no complaints.

9. Hey Skelf

My idea (for a homemade pedal) is to have a filter pedal that has a LPF and a BPF, both with a dedicated jack in- and output. My bass would go straight into the LPF and out into the input on my amp, while the BPF would be connected in the FX loop of my amp. Each filter would have a dedicated footswitch and peak/resonance knob. Pretty sure this is non existent, but do you have a basis or platform out of which I could build this myself?

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You could also check out the few parametric EQ pedals out there- I currently have a WMD Utility Parametric EQ that is capable of some very extreme Q that approaches Bandpass-like tones. I also previously owned the Empress ParaEQ and it was also capable of some pretty extreme filter-like tones, though less extreme and less tweakable than the WMD as the Empress is limited to a choice of 3 fixed Q settings (vs the continous knobs of the WMD). The downside of the WMD is that the knobs have very wide ranges and aren't marked, so the pedal can be VERY touchy!

For Low-pass filters, definitely a big +1 to the Xerograph- I hope one of these day he'll release an official version of the custom LP/HP filter he made for John Davis! I actually traded my Robot Factory Brain Freeze for a Xerograph Deluxe and don't regret it. They definitely each have a different character- I found the Freeze to be generally smoother and the Xero more aggressive (likely having something to do with the noticeably higher headroom of the Brain Freeze). The Freeze has the BP and HP modes but the Xerograph has a 4-pole LP mode and Clean Blend. I've found that my favorite BP sounds from the Freeze can be approximated to a degree just using the Clean Blend on the Xerograph and tweaking it to get the right kind of peak- it isn't quite the same, but the BP mode on the Freeze had a pretty limited range of useful bass tones for my uses anyway due to the steepness of the filtering in that mode (had to keep the peak down in the low mids to retain some punch- though it did sound really, really aweome that way!).

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    im not sure if its along the same lines as the products you're mentioning here, but doesnt alembic make a rack mount unit that does this?

12. The Xerograph seems like a very good option indeed. But now I'm thinking about the ACG preamp again as it would be nice to have the controls close at hand. I'm playing a Precision with 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and as the ACG has 3 controls (or more) that means swapping in a different pick guard and I'm not sure if the straight printboard will fit in the banana shaped control cavity, plus a battery....

13. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    Xerograph, Brain Freeze are both AMAZING. Source Audio's Bass Envelope Filter Pro has got some really good stuff in there too. and works the best with the wobbly wireless ring they make out of the filters i've used.

14. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    Look for schematic for a state vairable filter, you'll get high,Lo and band outputs at the same time. For your plan you may need two.
    Or alembec make what you want in a 1 unit rack