Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes Flats for 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 29, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a set of flats for my 5 string. I have a set of fender flats on my 4, and really like them. does fender make a B flat wound string? ANd what other companying make flats for a 5er

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm not sure about Fender, but here are some that sell flatwound 5'r sets...

Thomastik-Infeld, D'Addario, Labella, Rotosound, Dean Markley, Pyramid

You can also get single low B flats from Ernie Ball and GHS

3. I would strongly advise you to avoid the Lakland Joe Osborn flats, as the B is muddy and the D and G are excessively twangy. It's just not a very well-balanced set.

4. I just purchased a set of the Thomastik JF345's and I'll tell ya', they sound awesome!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a set of TI Flats on an old alembic I use to own. I loved the sound and feel. I'm just worried that the B on the TI's wound be too floppy due to them being really flexible

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The TI B string is pretty huge, and I didn't find it any floppier than the others.

7. Well I wouldn't call them flexible. Maybe less tension then other string brands.

The guage I'm using is..
    B=.136
    E=.100
    A=.070
    D=.056
    G=.043

They feel solid to me!

If you are having a problem with a wobbly B string try the Dean Markley taper wounds

[​IMG]
    Treena