1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes Flats for 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 29, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a set of flats for my 5 string. I have a set of fender flats on my 4, and really like them. does fender make a B flat wound string? ANd what other companying make flats for a 5er

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks notduane

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
  5. I would strongly advise you to avoid the Lakland Joe Osborn flats, as the B is muddy and the D and G are excessively twangy. It's just not a very well-balanced set.

6. I just purchased a set of the Thomastik JF345's and I'll tell ya', they sound awesome!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a set of TI flats on an old alembic I use to own. I loved the sound and feel. I'm just worried that the B on the TI's wound be too floppy due to them being really flexible

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The TI B string is pretty huge, and I didn't find it any floppier than the others.

9. Well I wouldn't call them flexible. Maybe less tension then other string brands.

The guage I'm using is..
    B=.136
    E=.100
    A=.070
    D=.056
    G=.043

They feel solid to me!

If you are having a problem with a wobbly B string try the Dean Markley taper wounds

[​IMG]
    Treena