1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes good custom head cases (w/ tolex, grill cloth, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've had my eye on a couple of old all-tube combo amps, and I've seen a few instances where other people took the amp portion out and built a separate head case for it... I'm imagining like a tan tolex with wicker grills, that sort of thing. A clean pro job, not a garage "my buddy made it" look. I don't have the free time to do that kind of project these days, so I was wondering if there is anybody you could recommend who does a nice job of that type of work?

2. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    You could see if fliptops will make you a custom one. They make a bunch of Ampeg replacements. www.fliptops.net

3. +1

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ^^^ .net, not .com. But thanks, I'll ask them.

5. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Oops my bad sorry about that.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hey Bongo ... did you ever contact fliptops about making a custom head case for your vintage tube amp(s) ?

I am interested in having one made for the MPulse600 amp in my Venture combo. The Venture version has the slanted face, so a normal rack case will not work so well.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I didn't contact them yet because the amps I had my eye on all went to other buyers. However they do feature custom head cases on their website, and they say to call them with the dimensions of your amp "guts" for a quote. FWIW all of their cases look Ampeg-like, so if you want a different look then they may not be the shop to go to.

I was actually thinking of talking to one of the custom speaker-cab companies like Earcandy, since they basically just make wooden boxes with fancy tolex and grillcloth. As much as Earcandy gets dissed on here for the lack of science in their bass cab design, in the case of a head case there's no need for acoustical science! :D

8. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Good tip, thanks!

PURPLE%20PLEXI%20REAR.

RED%2018%20WATT%20COMBO%20TOP.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bruce is very much into Ampeg, but he has tons of different tolex and grill cloth and will more than likely make you anything you want.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There used to be a guy in the back of Vintage Guitar that specialized in Fender combos, head cases, and cabs and he would also do custom work.
    Can't remember the name but know that these cabs were used for high dollar restorations.

12. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Kind of resurrecting an old thread here but I found this site the other day. Looks like some really good work and they do custom slip covers and grill cloths.

http://www.eloquentcreative.com/

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Neat! I like what they're offering.