1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who makes good exterior paint

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm painting the new cedar shingle siding that I just put up on my patio and this Glidden Latex (white) is really terrible. I've done 3 coats now and it still shows the wood through!

Anyone recommend some good quality exterior house paint?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Frazee. That's been working pretty good for our house. It's lasted for seven years so far.

3. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Isn't Cedar highly acidic and not something you can easily paint? Aren't you supposed to stain it?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Behr for me. I have an old cedar shingle plantation house here, and it's stood up to hot sun and driving tropical rains better than anything else so far.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Benjamin Moore or Valspar for me.

7. for wood, wouldn't you do an oil based primer, or oil based paint.

When I lived up north, we used to pressure clean the wood, let dry and then oil base paint the wood

8. Did you use primer first?

9. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I've always been partial to MAB.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not sure what its called, but I used to get this really good paint that came in a can.

11. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I didn't prime it first. Should I use Kilz or something like that?

12. Using a primer first would have sealed the wood and you would have only used one or two coats. Bare wood will just soak up the paint like a sponge.

You don't *have to* use original Kilz (stain hider), but they do make a "Kilz primer" now. FWIW, I've used the Glidden Grabber primer and think it does a good job.

13. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    Sherwin-Williams, nuff said!:D

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Probably would be best. My painter pro guy buddy keeps telling me to do that and be done with it.

15. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got some Behr Ultra-white Paint with Primer. man o man what a difference. I only need 2 coats (which I deems as par for the course on unpainted wood) and the color is about 4 shades brighter white than the Glidden. It was about 8 bucks more a gallon, but I only need one gallon instead of 2!!!

Now for the next dilemma. I got some silicone caulk on some of the trim and the paint doesn't stick to it. I wiped the caulk off when it got on there, but the smear made a film that resists the paint. Trim is going to be black, BTW. Anyone know of a product or technique that will make the paint stick? I suck at this painting gig. I'm a much better framer/carpenter or mechanical guy! :D

16. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got some Behr Ultra-white Paint with Primer. man o man what a difference. I only need 2 coats (which I deem as par for the course on unpainted wood) and the color is about 4 shades brighter white than the Glidden. It was about 8 bucks more a gallon, but I only need one gallon instead of 2!!!

Now for the next dilemma. I got some silicone caulk on some of the trim and the paint doesn't stick to it. I wiped the caulk off when it got on there, but the smear made a film that resists the paint. Trim is going to be black, BTW. Anyone know of a product or technique that will make the paint stick? I suck at this painting gig. I'm a much better framer/carpenter or mechanical guy! :D

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've been using Behr on the interior as well. I just like how it covers. My house was built in 1935, so paint is my best friend!

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm a big fan of Benjamin Moore paints. Their software program really helps to pick colors.

19. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, Mine was built in '42....paint is definitely good! I like the Behr also...