1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes good skinny tuning keys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Oct 25, 2006.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The smallest new ones I can find require 9/16" holes in the headstock, and the peg itself is about 7/16".

Anyone know of a decent set that's thinner?

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    You can make your holes bigger, probably. Should be able to. That's what I would do. You don't have the problem I do. My holes are too big.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Looks like Hipshot UL's have a 3/8" shaft - smallest I could find so far.

This is for an old Hagstrom neck with 4 in-line keys - they're weird because the strings go to the nut from the LEFT SIDE of the shafts and you turn the keys backwards to tighten the strings. If you're not careful the A-string will hit the E-string shaft. 7/16" shafts might work, but it looks real close, especially when there's the additional thickness of the strings added to the shafts.

To see what I 'll dealing with, it's similar to the red Kent PB24-BG from 1962 in the link. If you scroll down a bit past that and look at one of the Jazz headstocks, you'll see one with the A-string on the wrong side of the shaft.

http://www.hagstrom.org.uk/hagstrom_bass.htm

In your case, you could drill out your holes and fill them with a wood dowel, then redrill to the proper size.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Sperzel tuners install in a 7/16" hole.

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Would guitar tuners work on a bass? Just an idea.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had the same idea...the part of the keys that you turn won't clear the peghead.