Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes J5 pickups similar to Reverend 5L

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Who makes J5 pickups similar to Reverend 5L?
    I loooove the tone of my Reverend 5L,and I'd like to use pups like these in a project bass. As I understand it (and as always, I may be wrong) these are dual coil humbuckers in a "single J body," and I think part of why they sound so fat is that they are both always on...1 volume knob, one tone knob, and a coil tap for in phase, out of phase, and both coils on.

2. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Maybe you should ask that question on the Pickups forum.

3. I'd check into Kent Armstrong pickups. You may want to check the Reverend website. A week or so ago Joe was selling off some pickups. I don't remember if he had any 5-string bass pickups or not but it'd be worth a look.

http://www.reverenddirect.com

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No Reverend pickups in stock, but they are building 20 5 strings out of the parts they had on hand. Wouldn't part with any pups, and wouldn't comment on who was making them other than they are being made out of house to their specs.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Shame on you Chef! You've been here long enough to know to post in the correct forum!!!

:rollno:

;) :p

6. tmax

tmax Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hallowell, Maine
    Hey! Check out the Dimarzio JB5. They are stacked humbucking passive pickups that can be tapped and have a great tone. They are not a ton of dough either. I use these in a Warmouth Big 5 bass I have. Very cool tone.-tmax

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

Moved to Pickups.