1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes Lakland bodies and necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jhass, Mar 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    I could very well be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that US-built Lakland basses have bodies made by one supplier, and necks by another. Lakland does assembly, fret-work, and adds electronics in Chicago. There is certainly nothing wrong with this approach, and it may be common, but it is different than the all-under-one-roof approach that bigger companies like, say, G&L use.

Does anybody know who makes Lakland bodies and necks?

Thanks!

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Someone in Korea?

gebass6 likes this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    This is true for many companies. Nothing new. And lakland doesn't paint their basses either.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My guess would be Lakland.

5. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    They are USA suppliers. I'm just curious if anybody knows who.

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    No comment.

7. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    As I mentioned in my original post, I don't think Lakland makes their bodies or necks.

8. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Agreed. I'm just curious about who makes the bodies and necks.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Many builders have wood suppliers who Cnc bodies and necks for them. The builder does the rest. Who exactly? No idea

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Just to correct a few bits of mis-information:

-Lakland makes the bodies and necks for their USA instruments in-house.

-They also do their own finishing.

This wasn't always the case. At the very beginning Lakland did everything in-house, but quickly outsourced the building and finishing of their bodies and the production of their necks (though not the fretwork) to other makers. However, a few years ago new ownership took over and for past few years they've been moving more and more of their work in-house in order to make a bass that is truely made in Chicago. I don't recall exactly, but I think the bodies and necks have been all done in house as of about a year ago (perhaps more).

I visited the factory a couple months ago and saw the CNC machine and paint station where it all takes place. Bo Pirruccello took me around and even said that they're even hoping to start buying raw lumber and make their own body blanks. He explained that part of the plan when they bought the business was to capitalize on Lakland's reputation and progress toward a true in-house operation. A fact also seen in that they now make almost all of their own pickups in Chicago for their USA and import models.

I haven't seen their financials, but the fact that with this more involved process you can now buy a new USA Lakland (albeit a non-custom model) for the much-lower price of just over $2k is pretty impressive.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  11. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Eilif, thanks for clarifying. My information came from an older "factory tour" video in which Dan Lakin talked about getting bass bodies and necks from US suppliers. It is interesting to know that they have moved everything in house. And yes, their prices for the USA Classic series basses are good, considering the very high quality of the instruments.

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    As I mentioned above, I thought they did. :) Eilif seems to be in the know and confirming it.

13. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Yup! Interesting development in their production. Such nice basses.

14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It's an easy mistake. There's even an pld article still on their website where Dan talked about the outsourcing.

I'm not sure why they haven't made more press about the fairly recent switch. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to tell folks about. Maybe they want the ability to go back if they need too or to meet any sudden demand? I kind of doubt it's the reason though because Bo said that they're actually much more efficient in responding to demand when they can cut the bodies and finish them in-house without having to rely on outsiders.

Nino Valenti likes this.
  15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'd love to see and demo a USA Lakland in the wild.

16. Sadowsky does this. A lot do. You can usually tell by the price and by how much customization they offer.

Sadowsky's bodies are finished in Texas. Actually met the guy once, by chance, in Nashville. There are tax and regulation reasons for this. For example, for every nitro sprayed USA Fender made in CA they are fined something like $25 (that's per body), which they pass on to you. NY has this kind of stuff I'm sure so it's less hassle and paperwork to have someone in a freer state do it.

I used to know who Sadowsky and others used for speced parts, but I can't remember. It's not someone the public can purchase from and it's not someone you've heard of. I remember looking over their website years ago.

17. direwolf333

direwolf333

Oct 24, 2014
    nobody ever goes in and nobody ever comes out
    hqdefault.

dinoadventures, hover, Duder and 5 others like this.
  18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Just looked at a Lakland Skyline 44-02 Standard - 3 Tone Sunburst, Rosewood online....

Rear of headstock says "Designed and Completed in Chicago, USA"

And then in a smaller font underneath....

"Crafted in Indonesia"......

Hope that helps.....

gebass6 likes this.
  19. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    The Skyline models are not the same as the USA Series models.

20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Realized that the minute that I posted......Sorry guys and gals.....My bad......

troy mcclure likes this.