Who makes "meaty" passive J's you can brag about?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeB, Aug 17, 2003.

1. JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Hello all,

I'm thinking of replacing the "Fender Vintage" p/u's I have in my Jazz bass because the output is a little thin and not as big as I'd like.

Does anybody think they know what kind of p/u I might enjoy? I'm looking for an old-school, 60's kinda R'n'B sound but with a bigger or "meatier" output and I'd prefer to stay away from active p/u's. Anyone?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a set of older Barts that are dark, thick and meaty. They are the 'P in a J case' type... the model escapes me at the moment.

I love them in my fretless run with passive controls. The Dimarzio Ultra Jazz can get meaty, but with more clarity... but I've only tried them behind a 3 band EQ preamp.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have to say I'm impressed with the DiMarzio 123s I put in my Jazz...
  4. Hey HD, do you know a discounter that might sell me the 123 bridge pickup alone?
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No - I've always seen them packaged in one box as a pair. Maybe you can contact DiMarzio and see if they sell them seperately?
  6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Based on your description of old school beef I'd say seymour jazz bass hot stacks.

Another great beefy j bass pup is the Bart quad coils, used to be called the 94j now they call it something different. This is probably my favorite j pup.

Since you mentioned the '60's make sure you turn off your tweaters and maybe run a small cap to ground on the pups to roll of the glassy highs.

If you're on a tight budget just move your picking hand closer to the fingerboard ;)
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I hear Aeros will do that, but they're pricy.

Maybe Villex? There's a thread on those in this forum.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have barts and they sound great!!! they have everything

9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I had a Fender that I dropped Barts into, I would say that they fit the bill too.
  10. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a pair of Aero single coils in my bass, and they are the BEST pups i've heard. nice and thick sound, but still has great detail
  11. You might be thinking of overwinding. As you put more wire on the pickup, the resonant frequency is lowered. It gets louder, fatter and less "hi-fi." The BP shootout is a great starting point, especially when you also read the Seymour Duncan data on the same pickups. This will help you associate SD's numbers with the word descriptions the BP editors came up with. There are many places to look for fatter sound, but wood and strings are the most influential. I have a '62 RI pickup on my Squier. It's a fairly neutral pickup. Right now it sounds very fat with TI flats. Sometimes I play Labella stainless flats on it and it sounds much drier and tighter. I'm looking for a J bridge to go with it, and I really want a hum-cancelling model. The DiMarzio Model J seems promising. Its internal structure is like a P (two coils side by side covering two strings each). This basic idea alone accounts for a lot of fat in the sound. Plus it seems to be a bit overwound, which I would appreciate for the added output to get closer to matching the output of the P pickup.
  12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Fender's Custom Shop 60's pickups are slightly overwound and I think they fit your needs well. I love mine. Music123.com seems to have the best deal on them and they ship them cheaply.

Here is Fender's description:
    If you took the best selling bass in the world and over-wound the pickups for more punch, mid-range, bass and output, then you'd have the Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass Pickups. Constructed with Special Alnico 5 magnets and Formvar magnet wire, the Custom Shop '60s J-Bass pickups thump and growl! OEM on many Custom Shop basses. Available with black covers only
  13. pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    i recently [6 months] installed aero single coil pickups
    in a 74 ash body/maple neck jazz bass. replaced the 1985 emgs i had put in it. very pleased with them , i would say there is more bottom and clarity then the old emg's . and like bassgreaser said "nice thick sound but still has great detail".
    did some studio recording, direct into board
    and am very pleased with results.
    also had great service from the guy at aero ie.. advice,answering questions etc...
  14. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I used to use Aeros, but I've switched to Nordstrands as well as Dimarzio model Js. Wire those up to an Aguilar 3 band, and BOOM! Tone nirvana!
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i am another fan of the DiMarzio ultrajazz.

realy beefy tone at a reasonable price!
  16. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was recently interested in converting my old active Bartolini equipped Jazz into an "an old-school, 60's kinda R'n'B" bass with meaty balls. I did a lot of research on the Net and also talked to friends with experience swapping pickups. I ended up selecting the Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz pick ups. I'm very happy with them. I've also heard very good comments about Aeros, Fender's Vintage, and Antiquities.

I even put flatwounds on the bass for a month and did one studio session. Very nice old school tone. Check out the SD site; it has some descriptive info on the tone and response of each of the pick up models.
  17. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I put a set of Ultra Jazz with an OBP-3 and didn't like the combo at all. Ended up taking the DiMarzios out and putting the stock pickups back in. I wasn't expecting to be disappointed because I have been pleased with the Ultra Jazz pickups in other basses with other preamps.

The combo was very dull sounding. No "edge" or growl to it. Not lively. More moan than bite. Maybe I had a bad set of pickups. I also didn't like the lack of string balance. They seriously need adjustable pole pieces like the model J, or contoured poles like the Fender Noisless and Bart pickups. The E and G were much louder than the A and D.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  19. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Jacochops, why did you stop using the Aeros?
    What kind of Aeros were they?

I'm looking at getting some J pickup replacements and these are top of my list, so more info is appreciated....

20. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    c'mon guys? any responses to my above question?