1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes Short/Short Jazz Bass Sets?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Feb 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I have a fender that needs a pickup replacement and unfortunately both pickups are small (neck size - 3.6in). Further, the mounting screws are further apart than a typical neck pickup (1.5in, I believe, the same width as a typical bridge pickup).

Does anyone know of any sets that have 2 short pickups? I heard nordstrand will make a set, but I was hoping to explore all potential options. Thanks in advance.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Bartolini.

3. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Ah, yeah. Thanks for the suggestion. I had come across those as well. From what I've read they're a bit warmer than I was hoping for. I was hoping to find a set with a more traditional sound.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand

Contact the shop...

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    They all do. You might have to order two neck pickups instead of a set, but they will all sell you a pair of neck pickups.

Caveat: the difference between a J-neck and a J-bridge isn't just the length, they are RWRP. So unless you purchase a pair of pickups that are already internally humbucking, like the split coil pickups like a DiMarzio J or any of the others from various manufacturers, you may not get the humbucking effect with both pickups dimed.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand will make you a matching (neck and bridge) set of nj4 (single coil) both neck size.

7. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks. That was pretty much what I gathered from what info I could find online. It sounds like the nj4s are the best bet at getting a traditional jazz bass sound from a s/s setup.