1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes the bass? The player-model thread....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chicagodoubler, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    This is related to a recent thread, in relation to our lust over a bass heavily associated with a player, aka, I want to sound like Sir Paul, so I bought a Hofner....

Here's a sad story to start.

Just when I was beginning to get "chops," Stu Hamm was all the rage. I saved for months to get a Kubicki, only to play one and realize I'd never sound like him no matter how much time was spent trying to play Moonlight Sonata in the woodshed. :)

My personal solution was to buy a fretless J so I could cop Jaco. :bawl:

So here's the first 2, albeit, failed attempts...

Jaco: Fretless Jazz Bass
    Stu Hamm: Old School Kubicki

Let the games begin!!!!!!!

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I bought a '73 black block Jazz Bass because I wanted to sound like Dennis Dunaway. I didn't. I moved onto the Thunderbird because I wanted to sound like Martin Turner, and again, I didn't.

I'd say it's the player that makes the sound, but having the right bass helps in getting the sound that they want. I finally reached a point where I knew what *I* wanted to sound like, and had gone through enough basses to figure out which bass would get me the kind of sound I was looking for. For me, it finally boiled down to viewing basses as nothing more than necks and pickups. Everything else is just accessories.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've actually never bought a bass for that reason. My next purchase, most likely a Spector Legend 6, is based on how much I liked the four-string model combined with my desire for an ERB and the collective tonal perfection of Dan Briggs, Liam Wilson, Rex Brown, and Troy Sanders. After that is a fretless...probably the cheap Gary Willis model, because the low B helps at school and it's two octaves (ramp looks interesting too!). After that, a custom Stambaugh because I figure I'll know better what I want.

And then a Chapman Stick so I can sound like Tony Levin!

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I did buy a Yamaha Attitude cause I liked the sub-sonic "muscle" it offered through the neck pickup. It did not fit the styles I was playing (through my hands and set up of course) so I ended up selling it. Nice bass but it work out for me