Who makes the best 4 string jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbasslover, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm wanting to buy anoyher Jazz bass. I already own two. A 5 and a 4 fretless, both MIM. I really like them both but am wanting to step up to something better like the American series. Fenders are the only J's that I've ever played. I want a 4 string with passive electronics. Can anyone give any recommendations or is the Fender MIA the best value for the money?
  2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Lakland skyline Joe Osborne, or the basses from Mike Lull, celinder and sadowsky.
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Depends on what style of jazz you want (60's, 70's, active, passive, etc.) but if you aren't looking at boutique (LowEnd/Sadowsky/Valenti) I would probably check out a Lakland Darryl Jones. They seem to be one of the hippest things in that price range and you can get alder/ash maple/rosewood depending on your taste.

Drop a J-retro in or throw an Aguilar/Sadowsky/Fodera box in front of it, you'll be soundin good as a mofo.
  4. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "Best" is subjective, but I suggest an original late 60's-early 70's Fender Jbass.

You can pick one up for the same price if not less than many boutique basses.
  5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    The skyline series only comes with ash bodies, but they still kick a**.

6. I actually like the MIM better than the MIA Fenders. Another Jazz I liked was a Lull.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Pedulla Raptures... of course ****ing of course, I wasnt asking i was telling.

And the Modulus VJ is pretty much sublime.
  8. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Doh, you're right. Dunno what I was thinkin. Joe Osbourne has alder, k-rect?
  9. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    To the best of my knowledge, only the USA basses get alder. Something to do with the difficulty of sourcing alder to Korea.

I would love to have an alder/maple DJ, or Metro for that matter, but there are no alder Skylines, and Sadowsky won't allow and wood combination substitutions on the metro line.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Best Jazz bass for what budget? Tradidional passive or hot-rod active? Have you tried Fenders? What do you like/not like about them?
  11. Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Thanks alot! Boutique is definately ot of the price range. I will check out the Lakland basses.
  12. Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    I want it to be passive. To me, Fenders are fine. I just wanted to know if their are better basses out their in the MIA price range give or take.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  14. You should be able to find a used USA Hamer CruiseBass with a 2-TEK (my fave) or Gotoh bridge for around $500. They rolled out of the factory with Duncans and they are VERY well made and the components and wood are all top notch. If you want a great Jazz Bass at a good price, that would be my recommendation. The bolt-on CruiseBasses were the Jazz Basses Fender wishes they had made!
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  16. Ken Smith Designs, check em out. I think there's a section on them on Ken Smith's Site.
  17. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    There's quite a few great ones out there but I say you would be doing a disservice to yourself if you didn't try out a Suhr J Bass. I have been extremely satisfied with mine.

After re-reading your last post, I guess the price range for the Suhr is over what you are looking to spend but if you ever get a chance, try one out.
  18. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I agree that you should try the Lakland DJ. Great feel and great sound.
    Of course now I want an Osbourne, too.
  19. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Bass Central just put a 5-string up on their Web site, it is on the "used" page.