Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who makes the best bridge???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AaronWarren, May 9, 2001.

1. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    money set aside what is the best bridge on the market? i have a fender jazz bass deluxe-string thru body. i really am contemplating which bridge to get. i will probably have to drill or something no matter which one.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That's a tough question, since we don't know what you mean by "best". I'd say the most innovative bridge is the 2Tek bridge. It was designed to isolate individual string resonance, thus eliminating any harmonic overring. That being said, it has also been argued that this bridge strips the unique tones out of any bass, and tends to create it's own identity in almost every bass it's installed in. I have the Hamer Cruise 2T, and while I really like it (it has INCREDIBLE sustain), I might not argue that it's the bridge that gives it the sound I like - moreso than the strings, wood, or pickups.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LIke any gear or bassist question about a superlative, it's going to come down to what sounds best to you.

ABM, Gotoh, and especially the Leo Quann Badass II are hot makes. If you haven't already, check out www.allparts.com

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i say the kahler bass trem ok it has tunning problems and stuff like that but like its preety cool .like i hate metal and stuff like most peps think that only metal peeps need trem and i us it alot .it not really for every one if you can finde one get it and but it on your back up bass .and i would say use a goth there really good i have them on al my basses but my main

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ABM's are the cadillacs IMHO, but Hipshot and Gotoh make some good stuff too.

I like the Leo Quan Badass II, but some people don't.

6. EMBELLISHER,.......what do you hear about the badass ii that people dont like? i just installed one on a mim jazz and the sound was great, the growl increased and the sustain was there,......but i noticed a dullness in my treble end plucking......i havent filed the grooves yet and am wondering if this is even necessary? .or better yet will it brighten the plucking? who knows,......i was wondering what cons you may be aware of......

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I love the BadAss II also, I've heard from some people here that it's just a different tone. The original bridges on Fenders offer a more vintage sound & the BA is a little more mordern.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The BadAss II changes the sound of the bass...for the better for some people, for the worse for others. I have a BA II installed on a 68 Jazz and prefer the sound of the original bridge, I'm not pressed to change it back, as I don't really use that bass.

Cutting the saddles is a pet peeve with some people, too. It's easy enough to do and you can use the bass without cutting them. I didn't notice a tonal difference on a bass that I did cut the saddles on. YMMV.

I like Wilkinson, HipShot, ABM and stock Fender style bridges.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll add another downside to the Leo Quan II's which I encountered in spec'ing out a custom - you're stuck with 3/4" spacing. So, your pickup choice is somewhat dictated to you.

I went with an ABM because they have adjustable width and pole alignment isn't much of an issue.