Who makes the best head rack (box) and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 22, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have a bag for my SVT-3 Pro that is too big (it's like
    14") deep - to much extra space so its bulky. What
    kinds of bags/boxes do u guys use and why u likem?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I use SKB RotoMolded 4 Space Rack Case.
    It is exremely lightweight and solid.
  3. xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    SKB is the best because it's light and it also is strong!
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I've had two SKBs and had problems with the latches on both of them. Grundorf (sp) is what my other preamp (NightBass) is in and it is a much better rack.
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have a Genz Benz. It is your standard issue wood case wrapped in heavy felt. Very durable.
  6. i have an ata style. I like the look of it, and seems very stirdy, havnt had a problem with it yet.
  7. SKB tells me the maximum weight rating for their racks is 69 pounds. I had to sell my brand new 6-space rack because of this. Also, the SKB did not have rear rails.

Genuine Anvil cases are stronger than the imitators sold on eBay. They are also much more expensive. These cases come in 1/4" and thicker material.

My rack is under construction now because it has to hold 126 pounds of electronics. I'm building it from 3/4" common ACX plywood and using Penn Fabrication standard rails both front and rear. It will be covered in premium black fuzzy carpet and use the black amp-style corner protectors. I'll post photos when it is completed.
  8. My main rack case is a 6 space Calzone 1/2" ATA rack with recessed hardware. Its built like a tank. My secondary set-up consists of a case I had made for my V-4B which is an ATA 3/8" shock-mounted case on 4" locking casters.

Other than that I have lots of other 2-4 space racks made by various manufacturers including Anvil and Hot Rod cases. I throw my power conditioners, tuners, and spare stuff in these cases.

I was never too happy with SKB stuff. To me it seemed kind of fragile. I'm much happier with my Calzone.
  9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm real partial to Pro-Tec rack bags. I have a six space for my Eden Navigator/Crown power amp setup. And the cool setup is the four space with the WT-500, Korg tuner. I just strap it up on one side and the gig bag on the other shoulder then both hands are free to carry the Bag End 15. One trip does it. The Pro-Tec's are much better built than the Kace's version.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my band has 3 4space SKB racks amongst everyone (my bass head, keyboard effects, and horn section wireless system)

2 have latches that can pop open occasionally if bumped.

in my experience, anvil makes the best rack cases. SKB instrument cases are good because they use different latches...the molded skb racks latches suck.

are the "road ready" shockmount ones any better?