Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes the best instrument cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wasn't sure where to post this. How big of an effect do you feel the cable has on your sound?

2. Check here

Personally I like DiMarzio's, because of their mechanical wire-to-jack connection and the braided exterior protection.

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I think the cable will affect your sound alittle bit, but not much. It might add some unwanted noise like a slight buzz and maybe affect your tone a little bit. As for who makes the best cable...I don't really know. I use PlanetWaves and they work awesome for me.

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Audioquest makes the best stuff to my ears. However, the return may not always be worth the extra investment. I roll of a lot of highs in much of the stuff I play, so for me a very high-end cable doesn't make as much sense.

For every day usage, I really like the Monster bass and Monster Studio cables.

Let your ears decide though. Not everyone appreciates the subtle differences in cables.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use George L's and the cheap Monster cables.

Moved to Misc...

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I use Planetwaves cables also...and I think I can tell the difference between that and "generic" cables, although I haven't ever tried a blind test.

There are other's who will tell you though that there's no such thing as a "super" cable, and that they're all the same, no difference. To each their own, I suppose...

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am convinced cables have a significant impact on sound- especially when it comes to low frequencies. Changing from factory to upgraded wriring in my car system increased the punch quite abit- same thing with happened when i stopped using generic instrument cable.If your goign more than 10 or 15 feet, a low quality cable can result in significant signal loss, especially in an area with lots of electronics. I use Monstercable- its a tough cable with a no questions asked lifetiem warranty (if you get it form an authorized dealer) and has very good sound quality. Monster also makes an extra fat bass-cable that really handle the low frequencies quite well, but a 12' cable runs $30. :eek:

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've had two Whirlwind cables, a Leader and a Leader Elite, for about 10 years. Both cables have performed flawlessly ever since I purchased them. If and when I need another instrument cable, it's going to be a Whirlwind Leader!...

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also like DiMarzio cables. I have two that I've used for a good while and they've always been great.

brad cook

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    ProCo. Those guys don't mess around.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    An instrument cable won't have a great or usually even noticeable effect on your sound unless it's defective--either in design, like poor shielding (which will allow increased hum pickup) or bizarrely high capacitance (which will roll off the high end), or in damage, like a broken or intermittant connection.

Fortunately, good cables can be had relatively inexpensively; you can pay $10 to $20 for ones with lifetime warranties, though you might never have to use the warranty. It's good to have an assortment of cables not only as spares but for use with various hookups, DI's, or for when your guitar player forgets his or hers. Even the Guitar Center promo cables are a really good deal.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just 4 comments I know to be true from playing bass for at least 3 decades -

1. Monster cables are great but are overkill, in terms of what you need and cost. They are the "easy way out" when cost is no object.

2. ProCo offers incredibly fine cables at much less cost than Monster Cables. But, you need to shop around. elderly.com is where I bought mine at a good price.

3. DigMe is deadon about the DiMarzios. They don't play around and they put their cables through the "cymbal crash test" where the drummer's dropped cymbal can sever the cable. DiMarzios are built to withstand that. My DiMarzios have never let me down.

4. GeorgeL's are totally crap. They sound fine but they are built about as well as a chow mein noodle. They don't last at all. I've bought two of them and both are junk-ass garbage if you play out every week as I do. They sound fine but they just don't have durable jack wiring. I'm sorry I ever listened to Bass Player magazine on this one.

13. Most Pros and Studios that I've seen use Monster Cable.

14. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, but on car audio, you're talking about speaker wire, not instrument cable. You're sending an amped signal through those, so the sound will matter on what guage the wire is. Instrument cable is different and to me, I've never noticed a difference in different kinds of instrument cable, and I have a ton of experience listening for minute changes in audio.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've had the same Spectroflex cable for 5 years with no problems.

16. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Monster cable all the way through the signal chain is the only way to go. :D

I wasn't sure they made a difference until I heard the difference at a music store, where they had different cables hooked up to hear the difference. I actully prefer the Monster Jazz cables to the Monster Bass. Of course the Studio Pro's are the way to go if you have the $$$.

George L's always short out on me.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Except for all the as-good-or-better but less expensive ways. :)

18. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I've got 2 spectroflex cables a 10 foot and an 18 foot. The 10 foot is 13 years old, and the 18 is 11 years old. Still holding up, however, at church I don't let any of the vocalists coil up my cables. The hand over elbow technique is their preferred method, and my cables never get coiled that way.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

19. I'm a fan of Road Hog cables, a bit expensive but heavy duty and worth it IMO, I do think they sound better. Lifetime warranty too which is nice because my strap broke at the gig tonight causing my bass to fall directly onto the instrument jack which bent the cable plug.

Of course if I don't get any warranty money back I may find a new favourite cable...

20. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i use the armour cables. They sound amazing and they are by far teh most durable cable out there. they are covered by a metal sheath. Some may say this is overkill but it comes in handy for alot of punk venues. I highly suggest these cables they are great.