Who makes the best low B string ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassikBrad, May 8, 2021.

1. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Is there yet, a general consensus of opinion on who makes the best .125 or .130
    34"scale low B string ?
    I'm fed up with woolly, strange sounding B strings.

Let everyone know, share your comparisons.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. Based on my experience, the quality of the low B string depends just as much on the quality of the bass as the string itself.

3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I was just coming here to ask a question about which B string to pair with a light set of GHS Pressurewounds. I have purchased a set of light Balanced Nickels but not crazy about the idea of pairing a round wound with the pressure wounds. But a flatwound is not right, either. And it has to be light. I don't want anything close to .130.

Not sure what the best string is, but hopefully someone reading this can have an answer that will help both of us.

4. I use the PW L7200 (40-96) with a GHS Progressive 130B (exposed core) on my Yamaha (34"). Alloy 52 rollerwound + Alloy 52 roundwound low B = excellent tonal balance.

I managed to grab a few of the old version of the Progressive 130's before they were discontinued at the end of 2019. Unfortunately, the introduction of the new version (Progressive 2.0) has been delayed due to the pandemic.

Bboopbennie likes this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Someone else suggested the Progressives but I was unable to find them. Any idea when the new version will be available? Should I install the other in the meantime? I have to figure this out because I need to gig that bass next month.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. It's anybody's guess right now as to when the new Progressives may be available.

A question... Can your bass take a Progressive 125B with 38" winding length (ball end to silk) and 2" of exposed core at the ball end?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Yes, it's 38" from bridge to peg and I have the option to top load or string-through. So that should work.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. GHS PRB125 Progressives Electric Bass Single Low B .125

NOTE: The info on this site says "universal long scale (37.25" winding)" but that's an error. What they have in stock (a couple of them when I last checked) are the old ones with 38" winding. When the new version comes out, they'll be standardized to 37.25".

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Thank you; I just ordered two strings. Hopefully that will see me through to the new version.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. I cleaned out their stock on the 130B a while ago, because I needed the old 36.5" winding length as 38" would be a little too long on my Yamaha.

GHS PW L7200 200113-1.jpg

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I use a .145 DR DDT.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. Is that one tapered at the ball end?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll have to check....

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'd probably use a Boomer.

Arthur U. Poon and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    They're all strange, boomy, and undefined. I've used quite a few different sets and types.

Gabbs, DJ Bebop and Nuage420 like this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    try these

music.com%2fproducts%2f94189%2fXL%2fdaddario-eps220-5-prosteels-bass-5-string-super-light-40-125.jpg

1002-EXL220-5_1_.jpg

17. I've always been happy with DR 125. Either Hi Beams, Sun Beams, or Pure Blues are what I use.

Make sure your setting witness points also.

Lastly the construction of the bass will affect the B also.

18. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Any B string on a 35" scale Spector or Peavey or Lakland.
    Seriously though, I have had hit and miss results on various 34" scale basses but I always have the best results with hex core tapered strings...Progressives were one of my favorites as well.

BassikBrad likes this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Must be over ten years ago, that I settled with Newtonestrings.
    Works for me.

BassikBrad likes this.
  20. I use the Dingwall nickel 45-130 set on my 37” Dingwall and it’s godly imo but I’d probably go lighter if I didn’t occasionally tune that bass to drop A. For 34” scale and standard tuning oddly enough I actually go a hair lighter with the DR hi beams 45-125. My experience with 34” scale basses is upping the string gauge can help tension and feel but it actually makes the low b sound even more woolly which is exactly what you said you don’t want. Try a lighter gauge like the hi beams .125. It might take a hour or two to get used to how it feels but they have the bite a lot of us like. Only real downside is if you do tune to drop A occasionally it gets pretty floppy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021