1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who makes the better quality bass? Fodera or Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draygriff, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Fodera

66.7%
  2. Sadowsky

33.3%
  1. Sound is subjective. Too many variables: Cable, amp, tone settings, the individual who is playing, touch, vibrato, strings. The list is endless.

Quality, on the other hand, can be seen, measured, inspected. Is the fretwork good? Is the neck pocket solid? Is the wiring neat? What about the fit and finish? How well do they hold up after years of use. Are there electronic issues?

I've chosen these two superb companies because they are both from New York, both are hand made and both make undeniably beautiful custom instruments. And they are both on my "new bass radar". Particularly the Sadowsky Satin series and the Fodera Monarch Standard or Standard Classic series. I was sold on the Sadowsky Satin until Sweetwater offered 0% financing and made me take a second look at the Foderas. I know there is a price difference between the two and I'm not concerned about that. I shall be financing either bass and the payments for both are coming in at about the same price.

So, what say ye TB?

Ballin'bass likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd say Roscoe, but since you want a builder in New York....Spector.

3. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Carrots

xnewyorka, GregC, Surfbr and 7 others like this.
  4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Not much between them as far as construction goes.

Hans Gruber and Ace Of Bass like this.
  5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For the brands you are asking about there should be no issues and they should be absolutely perfect in every way. The only thing to decide is what you like in each bass and go with the one that has the most positives.

As far as financing a bass like that. I wouldn't. There are so many good basses that do 98% of what those basses do, it's not worth it. Unless of course you have a bunch of disposable income with nothing better to spend it on:)

Bass., puff father, bwoodman and 15 others like this.
  6. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    I think they are actually completely different in tone and construction. Both are marvelous depending on what you are looking for. The only thing they have in common is NYC.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    xnewyorka, DWBass, Ewo and 2 others like this.
  7. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    An NYC Sadowsky or Fodera will be absolutely impeccable in terms build, fit and finish and quality. At that point it's just whatever you want from a bass.

8. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    They are both excellent ,I own a sadowsky and love it.my friend owns a top of the line fodera , I played his many times , he's played my sadowsky many times ,his fodera plays like butter,feels great . He loves my sadowsky also ...but neither of us would trade our basses.

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Does Sadowsky qualify as "hand made" in the same way as Fodera does, even if their necks and bodies are made elsewhere?

10. Sorry, but that goes to Mike Tobias;)

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is apples and oranges. Their design philosophies are just different.

Mr_O'B, GregC, Jeff Scott and 8 others like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can certainly spend far less and get comparable results.

13. Carvin.

I'll see myself out.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    He didn't actually ask your opinion on whether he should finance it or not, or whether it was "worth it" ;)

There is literally no risk with 0% financing: it's the same as cash but allows you to spread out payments over time, a full two years in this case.

Exactly the same way people acquire other expensive things that they want, like cars, houses, large furniture items, etc...except you usually don't find 0% financing in those cases :thumbsup:

Billyzoom, RickyT, AuBassMan and 3 others like this.
  15. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    There is no discernible difference in quality between either brand at that level; the same is true of Roscoe, Spector, MTD, etc.

There are however HUGE differences in tonal preferences and visual aesthetics, and before spending that kind of money on an instrument you really owe it to yourself to have some hands on experience so you know EXACTLY what you're looking for.

gclark51, Tbone76 and Ace Of Bass like this.
  16. The quality differences are nit picky. The feel and sound are not.

TMARK likes this.
  17. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have one of each can't go wrong that way.

18. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    What style of music are you playing? With the Sadowsky, are you considering the vintage style w/ Jazz pickups or the modern w/ Soapbars? I'm guessing you're talking Dual Coils in the Fodera. I own basses from both builders and you'll get a quality instrument with either one. The Fodera is a bit more "handmade" than the Sadowsky, but fit and finish on the latter is also excellent. On the other hand, the neck on my Monarch Elite is possibly the sweetest I have ever played. But growing up on Fender basses, and the fact that they were on probably 89% of the music I listened to most of my life, the Sadowsky might be a better all around bass, sound wise.

MHT75 likes this.
  19. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You might want to look up the definition of "literally". Sure there is no immediate risk. Of course if he doesn't pay something off in that time his rates skyrocket to upwards of 20% or more. Seems like there is a risk there....seems like there is a history of people getting caught up in low financing offers on "things" only to fail to keep their end of the bargain and wind up in the crapper...at least in the US.

Right. Important things. I can see that. But a 5+ thousand dollar bass purchase financed over 24 months is a couple hundred a month worth of payments for what? And yes I know no one asked my opinion on the purchase. I just know how this place is. You come here and within a few months nothing short of a Sadowsky or a Fodera is good enough to get that sweet gig making beer money at local bars...or in a lot of cases playing through headphones in your living room.

If you want to play response police, you are going to be really busy. There's a thread about > 1K PJ basses where the poster asked for opinions on two specific models. By the end of the 2nd page you had fifty different suggestions including basses from Alembic and Lull...

20. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Not in my opinion.

DWBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020