1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who makes the fattest sounding P pickup now?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sparkdog, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Lots of threads here on this subject but they are OLD. I'm going to put together a new bass with a P/J platform and I want the fattest, thickest, roundest tone I can find in a Precision pickup. My age old complaint with P pickups is that the D and G strings never have the heft and weight of the A and E strings...sure, you can raise the treble side but that only makes it louder. I want more fundamental in the notes, and the best way I've found to date is to reverse the two halves of the pickup so the treble side is in front of the bass side. That really begins to even out the response, so that's probably how this bass will be set up.

I like loud and fairly aggressive pickups, but not looking for "modern" in terms of tone, the music I play is primarily blues, classic rock, and R&B.

So with that info, what pickup would YOU recommend?

Thanks TB folks!

Oh, if it matters, the J pickup will probably be a Dimarzio Model J. I've tried more Jazz pickups than I can recall and I still like that one better than any of them.

BassikBrad likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll nominate the Curtis Novak Charlie Christian P-bass pickup - PB-CC overwound with fat wire, gotta sound fat too.

3. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Hmmm...Curtis has been on my radar for a while but I've yet to try his pickups. Thanks.

4. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    This is the pickup I used in my last P/J build, made by Howard Ulyate. The big poles on the treble side really help to add fundamentals and thickness to the D and G strings. It's ALMOST there even in traditional position, but I want a little more. Ulyate-Super-P-PUP-300x200.

son_of_mogh and cataract like this.
  5. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Maybe BEAD might give you more of the bottom you crave?

craig0316 likes this.
  6. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I have one (gave up on 5 strings) and it does, but the imbalance between treble and bass strings is still there, just at a lower frequency. Most guys don't seem bothered by it or just adjust to the sound. It drives me nuts!

BassikBrad likes this.
  7. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
  8. Squint

Squint Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    No personal experience, but I ran across this demo a couple of days ago. Sounds pretty fat to me...

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  9. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    Schecter Monster Tone P USA.
    Sound like old MIJ Jazz bass special pickups with a bit more clarity.
    Amazing. MONSTERTONE P BASS WEB MAIN. MONSTERTONE P BASS WEB MAIN.

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    sorry, i can't help with the pickup selection thing. however, i think you are on the right track looking at a revised pickup placement. using a 'reverse p' is a personal preference of mine, and for the exact reason you stated in your o.p. for a 'fatter' tone, i would suggest moving the entire 'reverse p' pickup mounting rout much closer to the neck than usual.

miljoneir, Thundar and PawleeP like this.
  11. If you want a broad timbre make both pickups P-style.

12. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    If you want fatter D & G strings, perhaps the answer lies as much with the strings as the pickups. Have you ever tried flats?

13. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Slightly OT, but if you're willing to get a bass (w great pickups) -- the Reverend Mercalli does exactly what you're talking about, and that's why I love it. D and G are full with plenty of bass. rev mercalli.

14. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I don’t know if it’s the fattest, but an EMG Geezer has some nice meat to it. Also, if you haven’t yet consider a string set with thicker D and G strings and lighter A and E. I use 45-100 instead of the 40-100 or 45-105s I used to use and like them a lot.

Thundar, son_of_mogh and Bioflava like this.
  15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I swapped out the pickups in my Glaub and installed a set of Custom Wound Pickups.. They working out really well for me. I also like the Dimarzio DP 126 versions..

16. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    You might want to consider giving Kent Armstrong a call, describe what your after, and see what it would cost to have him make a reverse P set specifically for you. He rewound a vintage pickup for me, did an incredible job, and it actually cost a lot less than I expected. Kent’s standard model pickups are distributed by WD Music Products in Florida, but he still does custom work out of his own shop in Vermont. In addition to having as much pickup design knowledge and winding experience as just about anyone alive, he happens to be a really nice guy!
    His contact info is:
    802 843 1065
    armstrong@vermontel.net

17. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Not sure about the fattest, but the best sounding (subjective, of course) to my ears is Aguilar. And, if you add a J to do a PJ set up, the Aggie balanced set for either four or five string is hard to beat.

18. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I’ve owned several P’s over the years and never had the D & G issue. Perhaps just luck of the draw? Definitely had a Stingray with a weak E, though.
    I recently picked up a split coil Ulyate for my most recent Precision purchase. Haven’t installed it yet but look forward to hearing how it sounds.
    59ADA112-09A9-482E-B813-0B881C1802A8.
    Not sure if you’re aware but Howard’s recently been selling his pickups under the company name Proto Guitars.
    If you were to get in touch with him, I’m certain he’d be able to put together a Precision pickup to your exact specs.
    I have a MM/J Proto humbucker (with custom spacing & thickness) installed in my other bass. Sounds amazing. And according to the builder of the bass, Howard’s a pleasure to deal with.
    3F226D23-6E2C-4BE7-BE65-1F59E80210AD.

GentProvocateur, SakuBass and PawleeP like this.
  19. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I’ve been impressed with the Arcane 65 experience pickup.

depalm likes this.