Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes the most tweakable bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Dec 15, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have been enjoying all the combinations available on my Lakland 55-94. Are there any other basses out there that can give it a run for the money?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure... pick up an 80's BC Rich Mockingbird.

I'm sure something might have more knobs and switches (a recording console, maybe);)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    not sure how it compares to your Lakland, but my 3 pickup FBB affords me a lot of versatility.
    Is that what you mean? Tweakable tone?

In fact, if I don't play it every week, I get a little confused when I come back to it...

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This would be tweakability tone-wise.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a lot to tweak on my G&L L2000 and on my Warwick Streamer Jazzman!!!

6. the eda 900's from ibanez has a good variety of tone, form sharp and bright to warm and fuzzy(no i don't work for ibanez when i first started playing i looked at a soundgear and hated it)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Oh, in that case, broken record time;)

My G&L L2000E and my Brubakers.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I forgot about those G&L's...
    just picked up an ASAT a while back, still getting to know it. They do feature a pretty high 'tweakosity' factor!

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Throw a piezo bridge into the mix. . .

Or parametric EQ like JT's Conklins . . .

With Bart quad-coils, the possibilities are many (left/right/P/reverseP single coil, parallel, series, for *each* pickup). . .

Alembic Series I or II. . .

Wal. . .

:D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JT's 8 strings. They win. Period.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    oh, i thought from reading the title i would recomend an essex to fool around with. But may haps a wal. you can get alot of tones from them. and,,, well,,,, a jazz bass. G&L?

12. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Im borrowing my uncles Warwick Stage 2 with Jazz pickup setup and I have to say its rather nice.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L

Peace
    Nick

14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Damn, you always beat me to it.

15. It might be a Roscoe Beck with piezo control and onboard pre amp, if one exist. By the way, it will be too complicated anyway compare to the wood sound that it originally has.

16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I haven't played one, but Wal's from what I hear have a pretty tweakable tone. I haven't heard one that I didn't like either. I suppose anything Quasiparametric set up is pretty tweakable!

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Schack, perhaps?

18. Schacks do seem to be quite tweakable, with their parametric controls; also the Marleaux models with programable preamps ought to satisfy even the most dedicated of tweakers.

19. P-bass. ;)

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The old graphite necked Peavey B-Quad had a daunting array of sound. Two humbuckers and a piezo and more knobs than a custom Alembic. Well, actually not quite as many knobs as a custom Alembic, but lots of knobs. Too many for me that's for sure.