Who makes the oddest (good) cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hey guys -

I was over on *Other Gear Site* and looking at comments about cabs, (mostly for guitar in that case) when I got reminded of a few kind of mutant cabs that people I jammed with back in the day had owned.

One was the coolest guitar cab, ever. At least in my opinion. Pete had a stereo rig, but didn't always run it in stereo. Sometimes he's just use one channel, sometimes he use both. His main cab was a DL Monsuen 4x10, with the top two 10s each in a sectioned off enclosure with a removable back plate, and the bottom two 10s each in a sealed enclosure. So sometimes he'd just use that one cab, but run it in stereo, maybe with the top 10's being open backed, or maybe with them closed....OR, he'd use it with that cab in mono, and a 2x12 cab on the other side of the stage for the other channel. I just really liked that he'd have two different sounds available on each side. Two closed backs, or a closed and an open, depending if he'd removed the back plate. It was either mono, or left/right stereo. But the plate on/plate off options were only on the top speakers. And you couldn't open one side. It was both tops open, or both closed. Either way, he had the most sophisticated sounds available from just adjusting his cab that I've ever seen in person.

Nowadays, I can't picture anyone gigging with as crazy a set up as he used. Maybe in a studio. But nowhere that you'd have to carry it all in, like we did back in the 90s. Seriously, when's the last time you saw a guitar player with a rack rig?

And the coolest bass cab I ever personally saw was a homemade cab that was clearly a rip off of a Schroeder design. It had a front facing 15, with an angled off 12. I don't remember if that would have made it a 1215 or a 1512. But it was a good cab laying upright, and an amazing one on its' side. On it's side, it was essentially a 1x15 with a 1x12 kickback on top. That made the 15 the main, and the 12 the monitor on the one occasion I played through it.

I loved the design. But his homemade version weighed about as much as a foreign car. And by the time I'd saved up enough to consider getting a real Schroeder like that cab, Jorg had changed his designs.

So, in that stream of thought, what are the oddest cabs you've personally seen/played? And was the oddness worth it? Or just odd? And maybe quantify why you found them odd, if it's not obvious.

Aaaaaaaaaand GO!

mikewalker, kesslari and Kenan like this.
  2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    AudioKinesis cabs are a little unusual in the design and build. My Changeling 112T is easily the oddest looking cab with the most holes/openings in it of any bass cab I've ever owned...it's also one of the best!

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Duke's cabs are what came to my mind first and foremost. The prototype with a 12 inch guitar driver sitting directly in front of an 18 was probably the most unusual of the several I've seen and played through. The back firing secondary tweeters that used to be an option for the Thunderchild line are a bit, ermm, outside of the box as well. The newer ones have an upfiring secondary tweeter option that fires straight into the bottom of your amp head, still not really sold on that tangent. ;)

And then there's this: B18 Electric & Acoustic Bass – Sonusphere . Which I thought sounded superb with an upright bass when I heard it at NAMM a few years ago.

gtirard, pisces_bass, TomB and 3 others like this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There are also Mike Arnopol's cabs - kind of crazy looking and outrageously good performing.
    I've had the Flex 210 and still have the B28 and the 1,8 (shown stacked) Mesa-MAS_rig.jpg MAS-Zon.jpg

Murch, dannster, gtirard and 19 others like this.
  5. squish

squish Nothing TOO fancy Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Yeah, ^^^ the MAS cabs are nuts.

ColdEye, DJ Bebop and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    MAS was the other name that came to mind, but Duke's AK cabs take a backseat to no one when it comes to unconventional looking IMO...and I mean that very respectfully Duke if you happen to read this! :)

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I would sell my kid's car and buy this right now if they made a bass version.
    [​IMG]

8. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
  9. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Bill fitzmaurice has a few interesting designs not fitting the typical bass cab mold, but would be diy

Jack

10. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Many moons ago I had an Ampeg Isovent cab. 2-10” Celestions angled on top and 2-15” on the bottom in a clamshell configuration. Mono was underwhelming but biamp mode was pretty nice, though you’da thunk they lined the bottom with cement. Heavy beastie.

TJH3113, Fuzzonaut and dannster like this.
  11. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Typically, odd and good are more or less mutually exclusive categories. For oddest, I nominate the 3rd Power triangular cabs. This one's on Reverb right now. Everyone should have these. :laugh:[​IMG]

12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Brian May with his wall of 9 Vox AC30s would probably relate to the “groups of three” philosophy required to work with those triangular cabs^^^.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Wow! :woot:

I had a similar idea years ago and had no idea anyone actually implemented it.

[​IMG]
    My idea was more for PA though with two or three types of cabs, Subs, mids, mids+highs.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    The AudioKinesis “Birdhaus” Bass cabs were an attempt to achieve broad, even dispersal of upper mids and highs without need of a crossover or tweeter.
    They achieved this with two front-facing drivers and a driver facing out each side. The combination of small drivers and a more or less 270-degree coverage spread produces a hemisphere of “I can hear everything” with the cab at its center.

They were available in a 4 x 6” or 4 x 8” configuration; this is the latter.

It works great; I can hear the full bass guitar spectrum equally well from anywhere in the room that my cord will reach while I’m playing...including looking straight down at the top of the cab.

Like Duke’s other designs, there are multiple flared port tubes on the back with removable plugs, so you can tune the damping and low end response to the room by how many of those you plug or unplug.

That is an effective feature also. I much prefer it with both tubes unplugged for maximum low end “moof” (not to be confused with “woof”). But plugging one or more tubes makes it tighter and more articulate. Not a gimmick! 72B01A9D-96E2-49AC-A1CD-303F17396944.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  15. jdjk7

jdjk7 Supporting Member

May 12, 2016
    Bloomington, IN, USA
    Traynor makes a cab that's a 2x10 on top of a 1x15 in one cabinet. It's weird, and I've wanted to try one.

eriky4003 and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Coastal NC / SC
    9CC1D504-A6C7-4967-B507-FAEF3A9DFF32.jpeg

Murch, Marko 1, Ampslut and 7 others like this.
  17. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    That pic just screams Spinal Tap to me...and I like it. :D These came up in a thread some time ago -- prior to that, I had never seen or heard of them. They make me smile every time I see them. I bet you're glad your PA cabs never advanced beyond the conceptualization stage. ;)

IIRC, Sabre, the company that bought out Dunder-Mifflin introduced a radical and exciting new tablet that was triangular. With the success you would expect, or rather lack of it. Great sight gag. :laugh: And thanks for the pic, Was... I'm still smiling about it. :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    MAS cabs qualify as "oddest looking" I think.

Skjold with MAS rig.jpg
    12183886_10154249110509989_8702742888127934126_o.jpg

andruca, Marko 1, ColdEye and 2 others like this.
  19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    My Phil Jones BG-150 combo has four drivers, two of which are up-firing. Looks a little odd but sounds great! Especially in those tight stages where you're literally atop the cab.

[​IMG]

20. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    The Cyclops/Piccolo8 cab Arjank created is on the different/odd side. Very frickin cool I might add.

fuzzer, Passinwind and DJ Bebop like this.