Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Makes This "P" Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 12, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I just picked up a used Fender Jazz Special Japan and I'm trying to figure out what brand this pickup is. It's rusted but sounds pretty decent.

Any guesses on the maker?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    DiMarzio, perhaps? I think it's them who always use those polepieces.

3. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    If you pull it out and it says "Made in Germany" and/or it has Yellow, White, Brown, and Yellow wires, then it might be a Schaller.

4. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I'll have to check the wire colors when I get home. I think they were black and white, but I can't say for sure.

Are either of those you guys mentioned worth keeping? The Schaller one especially doesn't seem to be a very common one.... I searched TB, and I think I only found one match :eyebrow:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If it sounds good, then yes. Don't let a name fool you.

6. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Seems to sound OK. It distorts a little more than I'm used to, but I still need to tweek the amp settings. I just picked this bass up last night at a guitar show. It had a lot of rust and grime all over it, but I still love it overall. The input jack is also sort of barely working. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it works... a little?

I also need to check the wiring (see my other post) to make sure it's wired ok. Might be, but I suspect something is not right.

Anyway, I have a matched pair of 1/4 pound Duncan Seymore Bass Lines (P & J), so I might try them out. I'm just trying to figure out who makes that one, just as a thing to know...

The J pickup that's currently installed is I think the factory one, and then the P is that one.

Thanks again.

7. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    It's not very common anymore, but I bought a pair from a guy on Ebay.

8. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Whited, so do the Schaller posts look like those?

FireAarrow mentioned Dimarzios. I looked those up, and they do have the posts like mine.

Again, I'm just curious.

9. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Here are some Schallers on Ebay...

Schallers on Ebay

I purchased a set of these. The description said they might be Dimarzios, but I found the "Made in Germany" on the back. Calling Dimarzio, I found out that they never made anything overseas.

Turns out, after emailing the seller, that his dad used to be a CEO of Kramer. They used the Schaller Ps and Schaller Double Js in the Kramer Pioneer bass. I'm not sure why he didn't know that. I had already purchased the Double Js from a previous auction from the same seller(Schaller JJ). And I knew that the Double Js were Schallers.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

10. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks Whited. Looking at those pics, I'm going to say that they are Schallers. The texture on the black covers on mine are just like that.

I'll be able to confirm the wire colors later, but I think those are the ones.