Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who makes this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Mar 31, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No, No. No picture for anyone to look at. I'm just curious if any manufacturers make a non-standard body style,,, such as an explorer style 4-string bass,, that's worth having...

I was just checking out Dean's website, but I'm having a tuff time getting all wound up over a Dean... Case in point, I LOVE My Lakland 55-01. I'm just curious if I'll be able to find a 4-stringer,, w/ an explorer style body, that I'll enjoy playing as much.

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    You want extreme? Get the Epiphone Gothic Extreme bass

BC Rich?

Lots of options out there.

3. warmoth...

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: I replied to you in the cheap bass thread. I had the red destroyer from 81 till 88 and knew the 2nd owner till we lost touch in the 90's.... no neck issues AT ALL! Hopefully my new used one will be the same. There is one on eBay now BTW

My fav pointy bass would be the Ox's Alembic!!!!!

5. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The Ox has an Alembic? The kid's 15, how can he afford that?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: no the bassist from the Who.... John Entwistle, you might have heard of the guy ... pretty good player

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OOoooooohhh yea,,,, I LOVE those.... but, I was hoping for something somewhat more affordable... I guess, I just wish I could have my old Ibanez back, & could work with it. Tweak it out, etc.

Something else, I noticed that Gibson/Epiphone actually make Destroyer bodied basses... Does anyone have any experience with them?

Entwistle Spyder

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

LMAO

That's good.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, I've never stopped over at the Warmoth website... But, that seems like ALOT of fun!!! Like a nice winter project or something...

10. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Warmoth is great fun. I am building up a fretless 4 with ebony fretboard on Padouk neck and body right now.

11. Hamer makes something like that. www.hamerguitars.com

Pretty good basses/guitars for the money(I've got an import Cruise bass and wouldn't trade it for any other jazz style out there).

Bob

edited for error in the website address

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was just looking for a Warmoth megathread... Seems like there should be... Is there one, that I've missed?

13. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Be careful where you say that. They are some mighty protective Sadowsky-ites around here :D

14. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    What about a Spector Rex 4? It is somewhat like an Explorer-style.

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Warwick's Buzzard (the Entwistle model) comes in a bolt-on version that is quite affordable. I'm picking up my third [in succession] next week (tried the fretless 5, then the fretless 4, but am going with the fretted 4 for keeps). under 1700 bucks.

(Edit 5/4/04, tried and didn't love the fretted Buzzard, getting another 4 fretless to replace the one I sold and can't get back - Buzz 4 FL is the best Warwick i've ever owned/played in terms of tone and balance.)

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Those look SWEET, Dave...

Sadly, its more than I'm willing to spend, at this point.

17. warmoth is way cool, but also if you can find an older '80's Aria Pro II ZZB you would be stoked. it's a VERY pointy explorer style. i had one in a fantasic blue-green burst. pickups were shaped like soapbars but had P style polepieces.

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...s.jsp?showSlide=true&refreshkey=1080855890996

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...s.jsp?showSlide=true&refreshkey=1080855890996

hit these links and here's me playing one circa '93 17 year old punk fresh outta high school.. :D

18. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I had one of those about 15 years ago. It was white and had blood (red paint) running all down it. Looked like I had slashed my wrists and was smearing it all over the bass as I palyed, way cool bass for the 80's, which is exactly why I got rid of it 10-12 years ago.

19. did you have a case? i could never find one.. it's still in my buddy's closet for safe keeping. you never know when hair metal might make a big comeback!

20. Hmmm.... food...Sadowsky...food...Sadowsky...

food.

:bag:

:D

Bob