Who makes Zon necks...Gould or Moses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 28, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I don't mean to rile the Zonsters ;) , however, a reliable source told me that he took his Zon Legacy apart to clean it and discovered that the neck was made by Geoff Gould, the founder of Modulus. He also said that Moses Graphite is currently making all Zon necks.

- Comments?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    If Warmoth can supply parts to Sadowsky, Lull and Fender, Why can't Gould or Moses supply Zon? They are his specs, who cares who made it as long as it meets their standards?

Any manufacturer who makes instruments out of Graphite must pay Modulus (or maybe Gould, now he's no longer with MG) a licensing fee. Maybe that's what your friend saw.
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Maybe I should have stated first: It does not matter who makes what for whom--it's the finished product that matters most.

But there's nothing wrong with a little knowledge either. That's why I asked. Just for knowledge, not for debate.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    not sure, man...on the zon website, it leads you to believe that the necks are made in-house....my zon rules, though ;) i don't care of wishnevsky made it(not having a truss rod and all.... :) )
  5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
  6. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    OK, I agree, it doesn't matter if Lego made the neck. The Zon web site doesn't say either way. And the Bunnybass link only shows that they install the frets in-house. My guess is that they don't make their necks in-house. If they did, they would surely say so. Either way, the Zon neck is very nice.
  7. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    There you go. I have my answer. If Joe said it...
  8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    ...did you see the pic of the unfinished neck at Joes? Check the bunnybass pics again...
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What year is his Zon? I believe Modulus did make necks for Zon early on. I'd also heard at one point that Moses was making them, but it's also my understanding that they're made in-house these days.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Did you look at page two on Bunnybass?

next page
  11. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Yeah, but there was just a picture of unfinished neck. Nothing to proof where it was made. No pictures of molds or autoclave...
  12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    Zon necks made offsite: reference in Revelations.

also in conjunction with the CASHLESS SOCIETY and the embedded 666 chip!

MOTOROLA, who produce the microchips for the MONDEX SMARTCARD, has developed several human implantable bio-chips.The BT952000 chip was engineered by Dr.Carl Sanders who was directed in 17 NEW WORLD ORDER meetings to develop the device for global use in humans for economic and identification purposes.

The bio-chip measures 7mm long and .75mm in width, about the size of a grain of rice. It contains a transponder and a rechargeable lithium battery.

The battery is charged by a thermo-couple circuit that produces voltage from fluctuations in body temperature. They spent over 1.5 million dollars studying where to place the chip in the human body.

They found only two suitable and efficient places -the FOREHEAD just under the hairline, and the back of the hand, specifically the RIGHT HAND.
    "And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given mark in their right hand, or in their forehead, and he provides that no one should be able to buy or sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast, or the number of his name." (Revelation 13:16_)

note ref to RIGHT HAND. NOT THE LEFT, where most players touch the graphite neck.

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    f, you worry me just a bit sometimes...

14. A long time ago Joe Zon was profiled in Bassics magazine and IIRC they were making their necks in-house at that time. (1995 ish)

Just thought you'd like to know. Or not.

Stay Low,

15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The way I hear it, Moses made his necks for a while, but he's been making his own in house for a long time now. Longer than Moses was ever making his necks.

So maybe it was an older Zon?
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is not true.
    There are many licenced processes in the world to make graphite necks.
    Status, Schack, Vigier all have their own patents and don't need to ask anything from Modulus.
  17. I am not sure about Zon but I know Moses makes necks for the new steinbergers and the mold of the chapman stick xg I have. I always thought recently Zon made their own though, but I could be wrong.
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Zon now makes all of their necks in-house.

End of discussion.
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    only sometimes?

20. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only a bit?

brad cook