Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who manufactures the speakers for cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benbass, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Does anyone know who manufactures speakers for the different amp companies? For instance EV used to make speakers for Mesa Boogie and Eminence made speakers for Ampeg. So who makes speakers for Epifani, Bag End, EA, Etc....

And are the speakers the only difference between brands? Does cabinet design play a big role? I don't really have any access to play any of these cabs, so any help would be appreciated.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe that the smaller companies that focus on specific equipment develop the speakers and have them manufactured by the larger companies that focus on speakers in general.

Cab design has a huge amount to do with it.

Peace
    Nick

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Peavey builds some of their own (Black Widows and Scorpions) and buys some from Eminence (and perhaps other OEM's as well).

NHT ("Now Hear This") makes some for Madison.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Eminence has 70% market share in music instrument amps.

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    So then assuming that most companies use Eminence speakers - it all comes down to cabinet design? Which I can't judge without hearing. Thus leaving me just as confused about which 15 to buy. Thanks for your input guys. It is helpful. I guess I'll have to either take a chance and order something or just take a road trip.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Epifani=Eminence, EA=Eminence, Bag End=EV.

The speakers are designed to custom specs for each company. For example carvin uses eminence, but that does'nt mean they're the speakers Epifani uses. They're totally different in quality and design. So you basically have to try every cab you can.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Oh, it's not that simple ....

Eminence makes speakers for many companies. Typically, they will tell Eminence what they want made, and Eminence makes it happen (although Eminence also sells some standard designs of their own). Much like Samick in Korea- they make lots of instruments- as good as you are willing to pay for. You can buy an Eminence 15 as low as about $35 or you can spend as much as $300 or more, and you get what you pay for.

However, once you have selected a specific speaker to use, the rest of the sound comes from cabinet design. Some boxes are boomy with peaks and dead spots in their response, some have lots of tight bass while others have very little bass.

You can either learn some speaker design theory (and searching the archives here will get you started) or listen to lots of cabs until you find what you like. The easiest of all is to buy a cabinet that receives good reviews, made by a company with a good reputation.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just because they are made by the same people dont mena they are the same.

Not all Fords are the same, and neither are all Hondas. They might have 3 or four version of the 4 door sedan, but eachone is different, and its the same thing with the speakers.

They dont offer the same drivers that the other comapanies use in their cabs for individual sale BTW. Maybe Avatar uses some standard models, but thats about it.

Peace
    Nick

8. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Thanks I guess I should have realized that each company would have it's own specs. I went ahead and bought a Mesa Boogie 115 cab that has an EV speaker in it. Just happens to match my 4x10 cab.
    So thanks again, there is a plethora of knowledge around here.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If that's the cast frame EVM Black Shadow 15 that's a kickass driver.

10. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Yeah, Not sure - but it is EV. Bought on Ebay. Should be here next week I'd guess. A friend of mine just showed me how much a 15 can add to your rig.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    After I got my EV and gigged with it, I found that it was so powerful that I couldn't have children.

It was either that or the fact that I'm a guy. My money's on the EV;)

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I could be wrong, but I understand that Eminence builds proprietary drivers for Bag End.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, they do. Eminence probably builds at least 70% of the drivers used in bass amps, but a lot of them are proprietary designs. Bag End drivers are actually made in a separate facility from other Eminence drivers.