Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who? Me?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I feel like such a fraud. [​IMG] I just won the Hartford Advocate's Grand Band Slam 2005 award for Best Bass Player. Now I know I can't be the best bass player in Connecticut but somehow people voted for me, so thank you very much, whoever you are. We actually swept the board and won 6 of the categories and we're featured in this week's Hartford Advocate, so if you live in Connecticut grab a copy! We'll be headlining the Grand Band Slam event in Hartford on Aug 3rd so if you're in town come down and say hello. I'd love to meet a fellow Talk Bass member. You can read our interview in the Advocate here

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Congratulations Debbie!

I was going to ruminate on just what I think of the Advocate and the free gig they con numerous bands into doing every year, which benefits no one but the Advocate, while they almost completely ignore local musicians the other 364 days a year, and the sleazy way they hook bands who didn't win to perform anyway, and on and on...but I don't want to detract from your acheivement just because I've got a bug up my ass about the Advocate.

Anyway...sincere congrats! :D

3. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Sounds awesome. Congratulations!

Hmmm... of course, no comments from the bassist on that piece. Figures.

4. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Well I can't say anything now they've done an interview with us or I'd be incriminating myself! :D I do understand your point though, but what the hell...as long as I can play I don't mind. The good thing is real people voted us to that spot and it wasn't fixed in any way. That's a genuine compliment from the people of Connecticut so in a way that's worth more than anything else.

5. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Well I am just the bass player...it's not like I have an opinion or anything! :D :p

6. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Yeah, come on, it only has 4 strings fer crying out loud! How bright can you be with only 4 strings?

7. If shes got the groove that is all that matters if not then maybe make it up with your looks and dress to impress :D but hey it works

BTW I don't mean that at you Rockgurl but I must admit there are some out there

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Impressive. Nice item to put on your resume. :D

-Mike

9. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    :D Excellent!

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    What time do you go on? I'm usually out of the city after 4, but if you're playing within an hour or so of 4 I could stick around. Besides, being on crutches it'd probably take that long to get to the bandstand. :D

[edit]
    Never mind, I just read your article. :) Guess you gals won't be hittin' the stage until 10:15.

11. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Yup...we're headlining. I'm not sure if that's always the best spot but let's hope people hang around a little later. How come you're on crutches? :eyebrow:

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Nothing like some good press. Now all you have to do is milk it for what it's worth. There's no shame in promoting and you have to toot your own horn because nobody else will. :D

13. I'd be milking a nomination for the rest of my life! :)