Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who MURDERED this Gibson bass!?!?! lol

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Mar 30, 2004.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Are you sure its dead? did you kick it in the side and it didnt move? :D you have to make sure, you know... ;)

Why would anyone buy a dead bass? what next? corpses for sale? :eek: :D

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It probably made no difference to the sound (certainly couldn't have been any worse!!) and the modification made it fit within the case - so what's wrong with that!!?? ;)

4. Here is another interesting auction for a bass..

Beware kids its not really suitable for you to view... anywhere really..

edit (jt): link removed to usage agreement violation.

5. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    OHMYGOSH... it deserves it's own post... lol

Joe

6. If that's an RD series, which I think it is, then it NEEDS about that much weight shaved off of it, just to make it playable. The RD Custom (or Deluxe or whatever), which is the one that has Moog filtering electronics on board, weighs about 22 lbs., from what I remember on a previous post about this bass. They're pretty cool sounding basses, from what I've heard, but I have no desire to carry a 22 lb bass around my neck for any length of time.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    John Turners doubleneck weighs 26 pounds I believe. :eek:

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played one and while it was heavy it was no where near that.

Id say it was 15 pounds max.

Peace
    Nick

9. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Painful, just painful.

Anyway, the best known user of the Gibson RD bass is Krist Novoselic of Nirvana. In a recent interview he had this to say about his love affair with these basses.

Krist Novoselic in the german magazine "Gitarre und Bass"
    "The RD is just the perfect bass for me, I am a tall guy over six feet and I need a bass that doesn't make me look as if I'm playing a ukelele when using it on stage, The RD is longer than a fender and it weighs at least twice as much. But it's also much more durable than any of my other basses, I snapped the neck off of my Ibanez (an vintage Black eagle) a couple of times and damaged my Gibson Ripper basses beyond repair just by tossing them around. The RD is the only bass that I can throw against a concrete wall and can pick it up again and it won't even be out of tune. Plus the fact that they're dirt cheap, I picked some of them up for less than 300 dollar."

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Speaking of basses Krist is famous for playing.....

[​IMG]

Check out my Black Eagle bass :D

Peace
    Nick

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is a damn shame!:mad: Those are great sounding basses, and one of my all time favorite 4 stringers. The person who did that should be murdered. Bruce, you talk about how bad they sound. Have you ever played or heard an RD Artist?

12. -and throw in the air and get hit on the head by, as seen in the MTV awards :eek:

Craig Adams used an RD Artist with the Mission- I think it's on "Deliverance"- nice crunchy tone.

also the bassist for the Wannadies had one- don't know what tracks it was used on though.

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Nope, the bass that he knocked himself out with was one of these:

[​IMG]

a Gibson Ripper, Krist used a black one on that performance.
    I honestly can't believe that you are mixing the two up since they both have completely different body styles.

[​IMG]

14. well, pardon me :p

black bass against a dark stage, long time ago...

I'm sure Craig Adams used an RD Artist though- I've got an old issue of Guitarist with a feature on that very bass.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I do think that the bass is still alive. That makes this a case of mutilation. :(