1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who Needs An 8-String Bass When You Can Just Use An Octave Pedal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonTishBASS, Nov 7, 2018.

1. JonTishBASS

JonTishBASS

Jan 29, 2018
    I am trying out this new octave pedal on my Jazz Bass and it seems to work very well. I use it for a lot of Tom Petersson/Cheap Trick songs. Now that I think of it, who needs an 8-string bass when you can just use a pedal? It might not be right but it will save you money and it's easier just to play it on a regular 4 string bass.

2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

8 strings are a much cleaner octave tone, and usually octave pedals give a synthy bass effect.

Different uses, but yeah -- I think you're on to something. I got the Aguilar Octamizer, it's useful for a lot of stuff. Haven't found a need for 8 string. What pedal?

rollie 55 likes this.
  3. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    It won't sound the same.
    Even if you can get really good results with an octave up pedal that tracks well and have low latency like the EHX POG or the TC Electronic Sub'n'Up, that both tracks as good as flawlessly, pitchshifting effects, especially when shifting the original signal as far as an octave, will always sound rather artificial and synthy compared to the real deal.

On the pros to using an octave up effect instead of a real 8 string bass though are, as you mentioned, that it will be a bit easier to play and, perhaps more importantly, that you can apply effects independently to the octave up signal or even use a dedicated amp for it.

All in all I guess weather an 8 string bass or an octave up effect will be the best solution for you will depend on what exactly it is you are trying to achieve.
    If you are going for a clean authentic octave up added to your bass notes an 8 string bass will still be the optimal solution and beat what a pitchshifter can do for you.

(Also, how about deleting the two similar threads you made?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    JonTishBASS and Primakurtz like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Me. Not the same thing at all.

Abner, David Jayne and Primakurtz like this.
  5. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    So different. Who needs a bass when you can play a guitar through an octave pedal? Or heck, vice versa?

rollie 55 likes this.
  6. Like most things with musical instruments, ain't nothin' like the real thing baby!

tumblr_o36r9nCXlJ1uqity9o1_400.

rollie 55 likes this.
  7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    why play any guitar when you can fire samples from a controller and do basslines that way?

why find other musicians when you can play a backing track and/or run a harmonizer?

why learn to sing on pitch when you can use auto-tune?

So many questions...

Primakurtz and rollie 55 like this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Gotta have that “chime” baby....

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Even if you’re able to tune and intonate the strings perfectly, due to their different sizes, the strings vibrate differently which adds a random richness that can’t be duplicated by a pedal.

Rezdog likes this.