Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who needs frets?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Dec 22, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just got my first fretless (Fender American Jazz) after 16 years of playing only fretted basses and now I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I can get the same punchy tone that I do out of my fretted instruments as well as get more expressiveness with vibrato and slides. Plus, I can set the action ultra-low and not get any buzz! Intonation isn't an issue as this bass has fretlines. I bought this instrument as a supplement to the rest of my basses, but I foresee using this bass pretty exclusively in the future.

Only issue so far is an A-string nut slot that is cut too low which is causing a rattle on the open string. I'm taking the bass to my luthier tomorrow to have him shim up the nut.

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    shhhhhh!

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'll do this sometime. Until then, I'm stuck with the Double bass...which ain't all too bad either.

4. Certainly not Jaco. :rolleyes:

I am now officially a bassplayer. :ninja:

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Please tell me you don't have fretlines. :hyper:

6. Um, no- not yet. I have one unlined 4(neither a Fender nor a Jazz)& I'm waiting on a(cringe)lined 7. But in my weak excuse for a defence, we're talkin' dark red-brown bubinga lines on a slightly darker reddish brown maccassar ebony fingerboard. What's more, that is the first time I've ever referred to what Jaco did or did not need- I feel like I've joined some sort of little club. :hyper:
    ...or cult. :rollno:

:bag:

Edit: Back on topic- congrats on the new ax, polka. :D

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Ah, but Jaco did have fret lines........ :meh:

8. That's like saying Les Claypool has a whammy bar...
    :cool: <--totally aware

9. Why ruin a maccassar ebony board wit fretlines? :eyebrow:
    I'd rather just learn to play in tune without them, but that's just me....

10. Whatever. Personally, I can intonate poorly with or without lines, but seeing as how this is a 7, I'll take all the help I can get. ;)

11. I like frets :(

12. I like fretted for some things and fretless for others. For straight doodling around I prefer to drive fretless.

13. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i too have recently become a fretless convert. but i don't see it taking up ALL the fretted work. I refuse to slap on it, and tapping doesn't work very well on it, and it only has 5 strings. Other than that, it would rule the stable.

14. I can tap just fine on my fretless p, and only having 5? :confused: aiming to be les clapool? :bassist:

15. I would say that tapping is easier on a fretted instrument (hence why I've never seen a fretless Stick/Megatar/Warr). I would assume that Fretless5verfan is not aiming to be Les Claypool. I don't understand that comment anyway. Do you feel that anyone playing more than 5 is aiming to be Les Claypool?

16. Cool. I like bass- bass guitar, double bass, the biggest strings on a harp :rolleyes: etc.

17. Nope, just some friendly joshing amongst TB'ers :D
    Not to mention i'm runnning about 3 hours of sleep so i'll gramatically correct my previous statement after i get a decent night's sleep.

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Yea i can tap just fine on mine too, just sounds like poo (IMO)if I do anything even remotely quick...stuff that sounds great on my fretted. And yes only 5 strings. I'm a 6 string player by nature. Claypool is cool and all, but def don't want to be him.

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Congrats on the fretless!!! I LOVE mine, but I really dig the 73's tone. So I switch back and forth.. if I had the balls to make my '73 a fretless.. I'd be in good shape! :-D