Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who out here can really tell the difference between string thru body and top loaders?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think the title explains it good 'nuf. If you can, what is the difference? Thanks
    Ray

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Heck yes! I can tell. If you don't string through the body, it's gonna sound like it was made somewhere besides Scotland! IF IT'S NOT SCOTTISH, IT'S CRAP! Jaco always strung through the body, and if you're wise, so will YOU! Jamerson was a through-the-body man, so WISE UP!

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

To sum up what Munjibunga said, STB provides instant groove, relieves painful itch, and provides 100% of the minimum daily requirement of vitamin A.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, jacka-- (ok, I'm just kidding!!), no need for sarcasm, I just never hear a difference and the next time I buy my brand-new (not used) bass, I'll wanna know what to look for...

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    STB gives more a more solid sound, and much more sustain.

I dont know how to describe it better than that, but it is noticeable.

Peace
    Nick

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Och aye the noo big man!!!! Ah dinnae ken ye were so keen on the Scots:D :D

Tae be honest though, yer right - you da man!;)

7. It's easier to notice if you run a STB the "regular" way and compare the sound. You can really hear and feel the difference when this is done on my RD Artists.

~Ad

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, so I should save up and get STB?

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Apologies for the smart-ass answer earlier. :) I've never noticed the slightest difference between STB and top-load, and therefore recommend that you not expend any additional time and money.

Now I suppose it could be true that only some basses are improved with STB. OTOH, if STB were truly better than top-load, then most basses would have that feature as standard or an option. But I can think of many top luthiers and manufacturers who do not offer the STB option.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, it's cool, the world needs smart-asses, just to liven things up a bit :).

So, what you're saying, Munjibunga,
    So what you're saying, is that because someone famous does it, that makes it better? Hmmmm, so since Fieldy plays pure ****, does that mean I should now too? ;)

hehe,
    Well, I hope to be going to a Mars Music this weekend and try a bass both ways, just to see which way I like it...
    Thanks for all the help people!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What? I think you had tooo much coffe today.

I never really did a "string thru/top load" comparison.

I know the sounds I like. I love my 55-01, StingRay 5 & Warmoth Jazz 4 string (STB). All 3 sound TOTALLY different.

I love my Sadowsky's & Wamoth Gecko, Warmoth Deluxe Jazz & Spector NS-2's. (TL) Every single one of these basses (7 total) sound DIFFERENT.

What bass did Jaco string thru the body? I thought his Jazzes were top load.:confused:

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah...good point

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, how do I get who orginally posted something in quotes? I can't seem to get that....

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Click the [​IMG] button above their post.;)

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ah thanks!

16. I can tell the difference because my STB has holes in the body and my top loaders don't.

:D

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ahhhhhh Sarcasism, one of the many qualities that show the lowest forms of humanity....lol, but I imagine my spelling isnt much better...;)

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nino, you are QUICK! Did they even make string-through's when Jaco and Jamerson were playing?

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not really. In case you haven't figured it out yet, Munji's entire post was a joke.

Ok, jacka-- (ok, I'm just kidding!!), no need for sarcasm, I just never hear a difference and the next time I buy my brand-new (not used) bass, I'll wanna know what to look for...

You pretty much answered your own question. If you never heard a difference...

Best reason I've heard of for an STB is that it'll hold the bridge on in case all of the mounting screws fall out. Safety first;)

Look for a bass that sounds good, plays like you want it to and it wouldn't hurt if you like how it looks. I don't have a single bass that I wouldn't have bought if it had the opposite type of bridge on it. I have several higher end basses that don't have STB... BFD IMO.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure.